Third Party Press

Faustriemen attachment to frog

Slash

Gray Ghost Moderator
Staff member
Sometime back a member here (may have been KKW22cal) was asking about the correct "tie" for attaching the faustriemen to a S.84/98 frog. I couldn't find the original thread so posting here. I knew I had this but couldn't lay my hands on it until stumbling upon it today. The attached depiction/image is from a period Luftwaffe publication.

Attachments

• Faustriemen.jpeg
    Faustriemen.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Thanks for the pic Slash. I have looked at several pictures of Faustriemen/troddels/portepees attached to frogs,daggers and swords . Most of which ,you could tell were added post-war to embellish item or had been removed and an attempt to put it back on was made. In the few pics that the knot appears to be unmolested, it was very hard to see exactly how it was tied. I do have a question for you though. Did the different branches of the military and/or government agencies have a certain way to attach Faustriemen/troddels/portepees? I think I read or was told some years ago that the Feuerschutzpolizei tied theirs different from the wehrmacht. I never researched it and kind of forgot about it.

Thank you Slash, I was the one asking about how to put it back on. Any news on when the book is coming out?

Last edited:
grimlin13 I'm certainly in agreement that you see a lot of edged weapons that have been embellished with faustriemen/troddels/portepees. You really have to look at the wear patterns and aging, discoloration, etc to get a feel for the age. Even then it can be a SWAG. As far as the type of tie I'm not sure as far as bayonets. I know there are different styles of ties for various swords and daggers depending on the branch of service or organization. Like you, I seem to remember reading something about Police or Fire faustriemen/troddels/portepees attachment as well but struggling to remember any details.

Welcome of course KKW22cal. Knew that I had it; just had to find it. 2020 unless it kills me and I'm buried with the manuscript. I have tremendous respect for Bruce and Mike for what they accomplished in three volumes, four books. It's a lot of work and you don't want to disappoint people ....

Military Rifle Journal
Back