Third Party Press

My first beutewaffen, Carcano M91/28 Italian Navy marked and Hza Ng?? marked

CanadianAR

Canadian Grizzly Eh
Staff member
I have been looking for a depot marked gun for sometime. And finally found one up here in Canada. I dont really know anything about carcanos, buts its small as hell. original, and depot stamped so I had to have it. I know there's several similar depot stamps on carcanos posted here, and are usually poorly struck, this one is pretty good, but I am still not positive what it is, looks like Ng, which Farb says is likely it. It has really nice cartouches, including a Italian navy property marking. Bolt is blued. Nothing else seems messed with by the Germans, if theres anything else I need to photograph, just let me know.

Attachments

• DSC_0861.jpg
    DSC_0861.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0875.jpg
    DSC_0875.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0887.jpg
    DSC_0887.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0881.jpg
    DSC_0881.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0882.jpg
    DSC_0882.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0883.jpg
    DSC_0883.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0885.jpg
    DSC_0885.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0877.jpg
    DSC_0877.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0878.jpg
    DSC_0878.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0879.jpg
    DSC_0879.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0869.jpg
    DSC_0869.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0873.jpg
    DSC_0873.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0886.jpg
    DSC_0886.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 76
This looks like a very early M38TS (Truppe Speciali). I have never seen one with an adjustable sight, but I haven't seen many 1939 models either. There will probably be a Navy shield undee the barrel SN also. I think that might be it at the wood line.

Odd that the stock isn't marked 'Cal 7.35' since it should be chambered in 7.35. Have you checked the calibre? Maybe the Navy didn't mark their stocks...

Tough to find these in 7.35!

I was told it’s 6.5, but I have no idea. I don’t have Ammo or clips, etc And not sure how I’d even check it.

Very cool, and in the Great White North, no less! :thumbsup:

Definitely an odd-ball (the late Model 91/28) as the Carcanos go, made even more interesting by the depot stamp, which are only rarely found on any TS model. Congrats on a really nice carbine and a cool find!

Best,
Pat

Thanks guys. It came with a sling on it. The stitching looks so german, I wonder if they made any slings for carcanos?? But truth be told I’ve never looked at another carcano sling so it could be totally normal.

C00CAC60-BE19-496A-8392-63D1F061086C.jpg

It looks good Andrew, congratulations, the sling does appear to be German made. Maybe Pat will chime in again, He is very knowledgeable with these.

Congrats Andrew that’s a cool rifle! I’m curious to hear about this sling, it sure does look to be of German style! I don’t even want to talk about the carcano I bought :facepalm:

Thanks guys. It came with a sling on it. The stitching looks so german, I wonder if they made any slings for carcanos?? But truth be told I’ve never looked at another carcano sling so it could be totally normal.

View attachment 221886

Good question, I wish I could answer that definitively for you. It seems like things became less 'standard' and more variable in terms of support kit like slings the later in the war it was. Given that the captured Italian rifles and carbines probably weren't processed through depots until very late 1943 at the earliest (and more likely through 1944), we should expect to see stuff that's not reflected in earlier photos, or on rifles captured earlier.

All but three of my Carcanos came without slings, and two of those are decidedly very late war. One of my Krieghoff conversions has a sling made of the fragments of two separate slings, joined by overlapping the material and stitching them together, while the sling attachments are stapled through the leather as expedient fasteners.

Pat

Military Rifle Journal
Back