Third Party Press

Is numrich selling humped parts?

bnz41john

Picked up this triggerguard off of numrich and it just came in the mail. Looks decent overall except for one thing....the qnw mark has a rectangular stamp around it. Never seen this before. Examples ive owned previously did not have this, and ones I see on the picture reference also lack this rectangular box. Is the whole qnw stamp on this piece post war? or fake? Triggerguard looks to be ground and reblued aswell. I dont mean to throw around accusations, as ive had very positive dealings with numrich in the past, but this looks funky. Here is a link to where I bought it, hopefully this is allowed as it is not a auction:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mauser/rifles-mauser/98-2/trg-grd-mau98

Any insight is welcome. John.

00a1.jpg00a2.jpg00a3.jpg
00a4.jpg

Picked up this triggerguard off of numrich and it just came in the mail. Looks decent overall except for one thing....the qnw mark has a rectangular stamp around it. Never seen this before. Examples ive owned previously did not have this, and ones I see on the picture reference also lack this rectangular box. Is the whole qnw stamp on this piece post war? or fake? Triggerguard looks to be ground and reblued aswell. I dont mean to throw around accusations, as ive had very positive dealings with numrich in the past, but this looks funky. Here is a link to where I bought it, hopefully this is allowed as it is not a auction:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mauser/rifles-mauser/98-2/trg-grd-mau98

Any insight is welcome. John.

View attachment 221882View attachment 221883View attachment 221884
View attachment 221885

The qnw looks like it was stamped pretty deep. That square around it is probably from the edge of the stamp die.

I think it’s ok. Likely late. Here’s one from the pic stickies of a VERY late qnw known to be good.
4ae36e7f6fd0c65914a69d46a74d6617.jpg

Legit qnw stamps have some normal characteristics that this one has: more faint “n”, and note the odd triangles that make up the points of the “w”.

066c70a53f8210d0249b7ea1745ac138.jpg

f6e1a0c085789ab6d5e03e4cb85de652.jpg

I think it’s good. It closely matches that other very late one known to be good, which also has a “box” around it, and the letter details are spot on. It might be that as the letter parts of the stamps wore down they really had to nail it to get a good print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the "box" may be just the edges of the stamp, maybe they had Thor stamping them that day, overzealous strike...

Agreed with the above assessments. Nice catch on the weak leg in the n whoever spotted that. While I can't imagine a fake qnw stamp being out there at this point I'm never saying never. Still think this is 100% GTG.

Awesome! Thanks for the input guys! I was thinking it was possibly just the edge of the stamp, but I hadnt seen another one like it. Until now haha.

John.

I bought some 1903 springfield parts from them years ago..they were all humped. R marked parts were not the real deal. But they also looked brand new which this part you have does not.

Numrich (and Sarco) both sell numerous reproduction parts, especially for Springfields. They are usually disclosed as such. It's also certainly possible that they could get some used humped parts, since they buy parts from a myriad of sources. It's not like there is exactly a steady supply of 70 year old new surplus parts, nor are they necessarily experts on every part they sell.

Agreed with the above assessments. Nice catch on the weak leg in the n whoever spotted that. While I can't imagine a fake qnw stamp being out there at this point I'm never saying never. Still think this is 100% GTG.
A certain Polish seller on eBay with their own website has made just about all the stamps German, also Finnish and others. They seem to be adding new Finnish ones all the time, so somebody must be buying them. At the same time I couldn't imagine it being worth it for Numrich to have someone stamping individual parts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A certain Polish seller on eBay with their own website has made just about all the stamps German, also Finnish and others. They seem to be adding new Finnish ones all the time, so somebody must be buying them. At the same time I couldn't imagine it being worth it for Numrich to have someone stamping individual parts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah Ham has made us all aware. Others too. I just didn't think they'd made a qnw stamp

..certainly possible that they could get some used humped parts, since they buy parts from a myriad of sources. It's not like there is exactly a steady supply of 70 year old new surplus parts, nor are they necessarily experts on every part they sell.

It's almost the same Gray Blanket caveat. You know what you're bidding on. They don't have experts for every item they get. I honestly don't think they lie. I've bought several items including some I think I got a great deal on. Just have to know.

It's almost the same Gray Blanket caveat. You know what you're bidding on. They don't have experts for every item they get. I honestly don't think they lie. I've bought several items including some I think I got a great deal on. Just have to know.

Speaking of. Did you see his 29/40 1939 660 listing? All matching except bolt he stated. Then you start looking through the pics and there was at least 3 other parts not matching and plenty more not pictured.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speaking of. Did you see his 29/40 1939 660 listing? All matching except bolt he stated. Then you start looking through the pics and there was at least 3 other parts not matching and plenty more not pictured.

That was a Ben Dover saying. 'It's all matching that we can see' No hand guard off. No stock off. I won't say they know the numbers are fake but... People saw the video

Military Rifle Journal
Back