Third Party Press

8mm ammo

Dr.Kar98K

Does anyone have a good resource for buying 8mm rounds? I do not have the set-up to reload rounds, and new rounds are too expensive to buy for leisure shooting.

Thanks gents,

Tyler

8mm is a pretty available round. PPU makes good stuff that's cheap. You can find it online if you like, but shipping tends to be a lot with ammo. Midway and Lucky Gunner are two sites that come to mind. If you want to avoid shipping, check gun stores or outdoors stores like Cabelas . Even pawn shops might carry it.

Might check Gun Shows for the PPU stuff. Scored some there for $15 per box a while back. One LGS nearby me wanted $40 for a box of Remington 8mm!

Online sellers like Target Sports USA in CT (of all unlikely places) often have good prices on PPU ammo. I bought 5 boxes of PPU 8 mm in sept for $15/box, shipping to NH was about $14. At the NH gun shows, ammo is often on offer for for full retail or more, I look, but don’t buy at those prices. My LGS whom I like, had only Hornady 8mm for &35/box......NOT!

On SGAmmo I can find 200 rnd cases of PPU FMJ 8mm for $0.67/round, and they have some Yugo surplus stuff for about $0.44/round.
If you guys are talking about $15 for a 20 round box, I would never pay that...

+1 to the Yugo surp ammo. Works great and super economical

I haven't used it too much but it is nice and cheap. Apparently it's not as reliable as other surplus ammos, according to other sources. I've had the best luck with east German surplus (green lacquer cases like Romanian surplus but no red marker on the primer/bullet) in terms of price. Although sometimes I can't even get it on paper, after hitting a few bullseyes with PPU.

guess you have not tried ammo seek, gunbot or the 5-6 ammo related search engines

right now its comes down to Ethiopian, Iranian, Romy, & Yugo M-49, I used yugo m-49 8mm yesterday in my yugo M-76

I got a ton, its good stuff it was consistent

I dont shoot collectibles

On SGAmmo I can find 200 rnd cases of PPU FMJ 8mm for $0.67/round, and they have some Yugo surplus stuff for about $0.44/round.
If you guys are talking about $15 for a 20 round box, I would never pay that...

The days of .30 and .40 cent full sized ammo are long gone. Most current commercial production, long action ammo starts at .75 a round. 15 bucks for a box of 20 is pretty normal nowadays if you are buying in small quantities from a retail store.

This boils down to how much ammo do you want to shoot? If you are going to shoot less than 200 rounds a year, suck it up and by new, commercial ammo.

If you plan on shooting more than that, either start hunting for bulk surplus (which will be a higher initial investment than buying 'a box here and there') or...........learn to reload.

Id been collecting and shooting for over 25 years before I started reloading. My biggest regret in this sport was not learning to reload sooner. If I could go back in time almost 3 decades ago and choose between copious amounts of guns vs a few guns and reloading equipment.........Id choose to reload.

The days of .30 and .40 cent full sized ammo are long gone. Most current commercial production, long action ammo starts at .75 a round. 15 bucks for a box of 20 is pretty normal nowadays if you are buying in small quantities from a retail store.

This boils down to how much ammo do you want to shoot? If you are going to shoot less than 200 rounds a year, suck it up and by new, commercial ammo.

If you plan on shooting more than that, either start hunting for bulk surplus (which will be a higher initial investment than buying 'a box here and there') or...........learn to reload.

Id been collecting and shooting for over 25 years before I started reloading. My biggest regret in this sport was not learning to reload sooner. If I could go back in time almost 3 decades ago and choose between copious amounts of guns vs a few guns and reloading equipment.........Id choose to reload.

You're right, but I think every now and then we can get lucky and find a local gun store with some deals. My source for the East German steel case stuff gave it to me for about 50 cents a round, but that's because I know the guy and have bought from his store before. I try to stick to PPU myself since I'm not shooting 150 rounds every weekend. Reloading's a much more reliable source. But don't count those mom and pop gun shops out when buying ammo, and look for non-retail sources if shopping online (armslist or various forum traders).

Forum trades are the place to shop. It seems we take care of one another. I prefer to sell on a forum to fellow collectors for little or no profit rather than sell my stuff retail.

Some of the major importers still have ammo deals but shipping kills any potential savings. (Unless you are buying a bazillion rounds)

You know the saying...everything was cheaper yesterday.......

Whats everyone's take on the Ethiopian 8mm? Ive seen some before priced great at a show but passed as Id never seen any, much less fired any before. I have 9 rifles that fire 8mm, 5 K98's, 3 G/K43's and a semi MG34. The latter 4 I am sticking to new production PPU 8mm for now. The was ammo has dried up over this virus panic, we'll be lucky to ever see cheap prices again.

since you ASKED

your g/k-43's do not need ammo, they need to be tucked away in back of the safe since you ASKED

Ethiopian ammo as with all foreign surplus will be corrosive MAY have mercury in the primers, as most third world and early warsaw pact ammo did. I do not own any, but I have a good supply of Egyptian 8mm its dirty but great for pull downs

I PM'd the OP, but he has not replied

what troll said about reloading, & +1 on what others said about PPU ammo. Its the only brandI’ve been able to buy for ~$14-$17/box delivered. My LGS only carries the$35 brand, bigger not local brick n mortar place has PPU BUT @$26/box. If you reload it’s not so bad, like getting good brass free. I’ve gotten some bad ammo at fun shows, so unless price is < retail &it looks not too old.....
Surplus military ammo may be cheap, but how much do you shoot a bolt action rifle that kicks like a mule? It’s a little different w/ an auto - spray & pray guns burn up a LOT of ammo. Any gun I want to keep I also want in bood cond,so no corrosive or steel cased ammo for me. no +P+ neither.
all personal choice, yours to make

Guess 8mm went up since I bought it last. Paid $150 for a 900rd can in 2012 or 13. Thing is I hardly shoot my K98’s so when I do I use PPU. Just sitting on the ‘54 Yugo, but it’s going nowhere.

Military Rifle Journal
Back