Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8mm ammo

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    The days of .30 and .40 cent full sized ammo are long gone. Most current commercial production, long action ammo starts at .75 a round. 15 bucks for a box of 20 is pretty normal nowadays if you are buying in small quantities from a retail store.

This boils down to how much ammo do you want to shoot? If you are going to shoot less than 200 rounds a year, suck it up and by new, commercial ammo.

If you plan on shooting more than that, either start hunting for bulk surplus (which will be a higher initial investment than buying 'a box here and there') or...........learn to reload.

Id been collecting and shooting for over 25 years before I started reloading. My biggest regret in this sport was not learning to reload sooner. If I could go back in time almost 3 decades ago and choose between copious amounts of guns vs a few guns and reloading equipment.........Id choose to reload.
    You're right, but I think every now and then we can get lucky and find a local gun store with some deals. My source for the East German steel case stuff gave it to me for about 50 cents a round, but that's because I know the guy and have bought from his store before. I try to stick to PPU myself since I'm not shooting 150 rounds every weekend. Reloading's a much more reliable source. But don't count those mom and pop gun shops out when buying ammo, and look for non-retail sources if shopping online (armslist or various forum traders).

Forum trades are the place to shop. It seems we take care of one another. I prefer to sell on a forum to fellow collectors for little or no profit rather than sell my stuff retail.

Some of the major importers still have ammo deals but shipping kills any potential savings. (Unless you are buying a bazillion rounds)

You know the saying...everything was cheaper yesterday.......

OP pm sent

Whats everyone's take on the Ethiopian 8mm? Ive seen some before priced great at a show but passed as Id never seen any, much less fired any before. I have 9 rifles that fire 8mm, 5 K98's, 3 G/K43's and a semi MG34. The latter 4 I am sticking to new production PPU 8mm for now. The was ammo has dried up over this virus panic, we'll be lucky to ever see cheap prices again.

since you ASKED

your g/k-43's do not need ammo, they need to be tucked away in back of the safe since you ASKED

Ethiopian ammo as with all foreign surplus will be corrosive MAY have mercury in the primers, as most third world and early warsaw pact ammo did. I do not own any, but I have a good supply of Egyptian 8mm its dirty but great for pull downs

I PM'd the OP, but he has not replied

what troll said about reloading, & +1 on what others said about PPU ammo. Its the only brandIíve been able to buy for ~$14-$17/box delivered. My LGS only carries the$35 brand, bigger not local brick n mortar place has PPU BUT @$26/box. If you reload itís not so bad, like getting good brass free. Iíve gotten some bad ammo at fun shows, so unless price is < retail &it looks not too old.....
    Surplus military ammo may be cheap, but how much do you shoot a bolt action rifle that kicks like a mule? Itís a little different w/ an auto - spray & pray guns burn up a LOT of ammo. Any gun I want to keep I also want in bood cond,so no corrosive or steel cased ammo for me. no +P+ neither.
    all personal choice, yours to make
    Munchener 1953