Third Party Press

Warning! Franken K98 incoming !

Keks

Hi All!

quick intro ... I am a seasoned shooter but mostly shoot handguns, and semi auto rifles. I dont use bolt action guns except for long distance shooting and hunting and only have 2 large caliber bolt guns for that. All other guns are lever guns, hand guns and black guns....

I also dont really like shooting large caliber rifles and have mostly switched to PCCs as that is all thats needed, unless for hunting and such.

Recently I saw a WWII documentary and with K98s used then. Those rifles being pieces of history and the actions the grand fathers of many great modern rifles, I decided I need such a rifle!

I like to have one not so much for shooting but as a historic collector's item...

Sadly I only found this great forum after I already ordered the rifle :( The experts here seem to be the world leading experts and I am in awe about the expertise I see in forum posts.

Now the bad news:

I am not at all very familiar with K98s but know that there are used and beaten military ones, especially from Russia and the occasional mint one. Prices for mint ones seem to be in the several thousand dollar range and not what I wanted to spend at the moment.

But I also did not want a beaten up rifle.... So I settled for a Franken Rifle that looks almost like new but if I posted pictures here you guys would probably scream in pain ....

I have not yet received the rifle but been reading forum posts and learning about what rifles are out there.... Now I think mine almost looks too new and the natural finish looks more authentic (duh).

Anyways, the rifle was the right choice for me because a beat up corroded POS would not make me happy and USD3000-5000 for a mint one is not what I was ready to spend right now.

But I like checking out the pics of the mint original rifles on this site and I understand how someone can become a collector of those fine rifles and variants (must resist .... )

Anyways, mine is a S/243 1937 and if it is ok to post obvious hackjobs and Franken rifles I would like to post a few pics and hopefully learn a bit more about the rifle

Matt

Go ahead and post. Hey iI am a collector and I own a Frankenmauser. an S 42/G. I would love a bolt mismatch or better but it’s my place holder until that day and my wallet can cooperate

You will get frank feedback and it will help you learn. Many good rifles are sold here for less than the price you stated. It takes time to understand and contribute and become a member. You will then know what your looking at.

Welcome to the forum. You will find it to be an invaluable source of information for your new hobby. And there is nothing wrong with a mixed rifle. I have two, one a Russian capture made up of various manufacturers and eras and the other is a complete mishmash of parts. They are both fun either way. :welcome:

Military Rifle Journal
Back