Third Party Press

1933 Banner Mauser

Danmon

Hi Guys,

just looking for some advice. I want to obtain a Mauser and have the opportunity to purchase a 1933 Banner Mauser. I had a brief look at it and from memory the numbers all seem to match except the bolt. It has a turned down bolt handle, take down disc in the stock. Overall it appears in good condition and doesn’t have the RC x engraved on it.

Are these good shooters and is there anything I need to specifically look out for?

The guys wants what I think is top dollar for it ($2000 AUD) so I would appreciate some advice.A45AB733-8755-46D7-9494-F4453A691611.jpgCAD892BB-01F7-47AF-ADE3-1DF5F869E423.jpg37E79D7B-7B36-41A4-82B4-97F912A1488C.jpg

First off, Welcome! From the limited photos it looks pretty good. The bolt is mismatched it seems but is the correct style for the rifle. Rifles like this I dont typicaly consider shooters. Russian captures fill that role better. But aslong as the bore isnt toast It probably would make a good shooter. The $1350 US (2k AUS) seems to be a on the top end price wise for a bolt mist match example. Others will probably have more to say.

John.

More than I would pay for a bolt mismatch but I don't know what the Australian market is like.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

From what i have seen of the market here in Australia at the moment i think 2k is about right if the rest of the rifle is matching. Ive recently seen a few bolt mm rifles going for a bit more than that too. Good complete matching are starting around $3500 if you can find one. Good luck mate

Thanks Guys, I will have a closer look at it and give the bore a good inspection. From memory there are no markings on the stock, could be I just didn’t look hard enough for them though as I didn’t have much time.

I really want a good shooting K98. Is there any specific factory that produced rifles that were more accurate than the others or is there a specific year when German engineering was at its best and consistently made high quality rifles?

Many thanks

I think Mauser rifles in the 1930’s are the best there is quality wise. If the bore is really nice and it headspaces properly it’s probably as accurate as you will find. Though mismatched, the bolt appears correct.

I think Mauser rifles in the 1930’s are the best there is quality wise. If the bore is really nice and it headspaces properly it’s probably as accurate as you will find. Though mismatched, the bolt appears correct.
I agree. I think 1935 Brazilian Long Rifle is the best of the bunch, but the Standard Models, 1935 Brazilian Short and Chilean Carbine are are great.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the replies, unfortunately the rifle was sold before I could have another look. Better luck next time hopefully.

Military Rifle Journal
Back