Third Party Press

Gew 88/14

toulon44

i have got this G88 last week , all matching , but it hasn't its cleaning rod and the rear sight slide bar is broken .

here are few pics

ber

0.jpg0a.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3a.jpg3.jpg3b.jpg3c.jpg3d.jpg3e.jpg

Last edited:
I won't pretend to know very much about the G88, but isn't this a 88/05? The stripper clip guide is different on an 88/14? This was subject to a major discussion back in 2003-2004 and I am not sure where this ended up actually. CB did a bunch of translations, none of which satisfied him and as usual some disagreements remained. Storz book hardly resolved the confusion for me.

Anyway, do some of the right receiver, rear sight and maybe Ernie can simplify the difference between the major modifications. Or someone else if they have the time...

BTW, I am developing a trends sheet for G88 observations and have plans to create a research thread on general observations. If Ernie, or someone else, is confident enough in describing the distinct variations in a manner Craig Brown did for the M71 variation for this thread do let me know. Short of that I will be forced to actually read and muddle through Storz's descriptions...

Main differences according to the German military manual . The rear sight has a brazed on range plate for S ammo . The magazine housing and interrupter was different than the 05 and was a major concern as the parts did not interchange . The thumb notch for reloading with a clip was deeper . My understanding of the clip guide change is that they switched from a gas plug weld to an electric plug weld . That is how I understand what is written . Since the German records show a batch of the 14's being made and there is only one?? in existence and it matches perfectly a known bad translation of the 14 conversion which does not even make mechanical sense . Why build up a weld and warp the rear receiver and cut guides when you can just plug weld a premade piece of strap steel ? As a metal worker and welder , I could do 10 plug weld guides in the time it would take to weld up and cut a hump , and with less equiptment . Also I do believe that the 88/14 conversion was a panic conversion thought up in the 1914 rifle shortage to use old unused at the time Gew-88 rifles . I think they gave it up quickly when the realized the Gew-88 S conversion would work and when 88/05's started freeing up to get reworked that they made a much better and easier conversion to a 05/14 ??? by only grinding down the rear sight and deepening the thumb cut .

Also : help you with exactly what ? That sounds like a lot of work !!! I would not mind helping you out but I do , do other stuff . I just got back from guiding a 3 day deer hunt for a friend with his 15 yo girl . She got a nice 10 point 22 inch spread white tail . She made a very good 120 yard shot .

I won't pretend to know very much about the G88, but isn't this a 88/05? The stripper clip guide is different on an 88/14? This was subject to a major discussion back in 2003-2004 and I am not sure where this ended up actually. CB did a bunch of translations, none of which satisfied him and as usual some disagreements remained. Storz book hardly resolved the confusion for me.

Anyway, do some of the right receiver, rear sight and maybe Ernie can simplify the difference between the major modifications. Or someone else if they have the time...

i haven't checked the model with the storz book before posting this rifle , now it's done and you are right , this is a G88/05 .

ber

Thanks Ernie for the detailed outline, not sure I understand it all that much better (as in being able to confidently identifying one), but this was a good explanation of some of the technical differences.

Everyone does "other stuff"... this whole forum business is simply a distraction from the "other stuff"... and I am sure this is true of everyone here.

Also : help you with exactly what ? That sounds like a lot of work !!! I would not mind helping you out but I do , do other stuff . I just got back from guiding a 3 day deer hunt for a friend with his 15 yo girl . She got a nice 10 point 22 inch spread white tail . She made a very good 120 yard shot .

My observations weren't meant as a criticism, basically I was unsure of the differences myself and Storz doesn't do a great job describing the differences. The only 88/14's known seem to be John's (JPS) and the one in Storz book, - and there was some controversy over JPS's rifle, though I am not sure if anyone really knows, CB, Ernie and Scarlata all seemed to have unanswered questions...

i haven't checked the model with the storz book before posting this rifle , now it's done and you are right , this is a G88/05 .

ber

Thanks Ernie for the detailed outline, not sure I understand it all that much better (as in being able to confidently identifying one), but this was a good explanation of some of the technical differences.

Everyone does "other stuff"... this whole forum business is simply a distraction from the "other stuff"... and I am sure this is true of everyone here.

I understand . I just visit the forums when I am resting from other " stuff " . I did mean that sometimes I can disappear for a few days .

My observations weren't meant as a criticism, basically I was unsure of the differences myself and Storz doesn't do a great job describing the differences. The only 88/14's known seem to be John's (JPS) and the one in Storz book, - and there was some controversy over JPS's rifle, though I am not sure if anyone really knows, CB, Ernie and Scarlata all seemed to have unanswered questions...

there is no problem , i had understood your comments and not taken them as a criticism . g88/14 are so rare ? maybe ! i've never seen one of them .

ber

I would link you to the thread John (JPS) illustrated his rifle, it was on gunboards during 2006 which means it was purged, so all I have are the pictures and the text that I saved. The pictures are pretty poor though and not mine to post, but his rifle was a Amberg/1890 3025/e; the Storz rifles are Steyr's, one 1890 (page 159-162), generally a good description, but more a historical outline rather than a detailed examination. I also have a record of Craig Brown owning one, Amberg/1890 7622 l, but very few details regarding it.

I did notice on the Storz examples (museum examples he had access too) the letter marks Storz refers to on page 162 as related to the conversion is on the left receiver (serial side), whereas John's example is on the right receiver (all different letters); John's rifle also has the "circle W" (Will Company) next to the trigger guard like Storz's examples.

Anyway, I guess that makes three examples known, two in Storz book, John's and Craig Brown's. Not sure what happened to CB's example, supposedly it was matching, but that would actually make 4 known.

Military Rifle Journal
Back