Third Party Press

HELP G33/40 DOT 1941 no letter block

adler89

Good day,
i have some doubts about the sn on the bolt. Is it correct?

thank you very much for your help!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 162
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 137
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 166
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 132
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 178
The serial number font looks good and the number and the proof are in the right locations and no evidence of tampering, looks ok to me too.

My opinions: the bolt numbers are a fairly decent humpjob. The font does not look correct. There appears to be evidence of re-polishing and heat discoloration / refinishing.

Please compare, L to R: OP bolt, OP bolt, originals 1 (dot 1941), 2 (dot 1941), 3 (945 1940):

OP (1).jpgOP (2).jpgdot 41 2.jpgdot 41 1.jpg945 40.JPG

Last edited:
Ah! I see it now in your closeup photo, clearly some heat was applied, my bad!

I'm also suspicious about the SN font....many thanks

The pictures you provided were very good. It's not easy to renumber these because it requires removal of the old serial number on the rear of the bolt stem, which is a rounded surface, then restamping those numbers on a rounded surface, with the appropriate dies. Because of the amount of money that a matching 33/40 will fetch over a non-matching example, there is much incentive to fake them. While the main serial on a K98k bolt body, the handle flat, is easier to tamper with and hump, one also has to renumber the FP, safety, extractor sometimes, and bolt collar. That's tough to almost impossible to get right. I've seen some excellent humpjobs on 33/40 bolts. On a scale of humping "quality" of 1 to 10, this gets about a 7 ;)

Note that even when the Germans actually reworked a 33/40 they did not grind and renumber the bolt handle, they did the handle flat / root:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?18693-G-33-40-945-1940-HZa-rework

Also, when you have questions, refer to these vetted originals which we've indexed by maker and date:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?45-Picture-Reference-Index

Ah! I see it now in your closeup photo, clearly some heat was applied, my bad!

Digital pics can distort appearances, so what my look like heat discoloration and one type of numbering in a digital internets pic may look completely different in hand. However, in this case Adler's very good pictures tell the tale. The main giveaway is not the possible heat discoloration but the incorrect numbering fonts.

..Because of the amount of money that a matching 33/40 will fetch over a non-matching example, there is much incentive to fake them.

..I've seen some excellent humpjobs on 33/40 bolts. On a scale of humping "quality" of 1 to 10, this gets about a 7 ;)

Here's one Mike outted in a discussion on Dave's site. This rifle is up to $1834 with 3+ days left. bad bolt 2.jpg

Here's one Mike outted in a discussion on Dave's site. This rifle is up to $1834 with 3+ days left. View attachment 222253

HM, thanks, Looks like the same dies, maybe the same humper. Compare:

OP (1).jpgbad bolt 2.jpg

The only thing the high bidder is "winning" is a torn up a$$ and wallet. The torn a$$ and wallet started at a about $1200, so it looks like that the "winning" is way past that now and the bidding isn't even over. For internets search purposes: G.33 / 40 , 33/40 , dot serial number 9625 and 2654

Last edited:
Glad I brought that up and even more so that you looked at them together. 3 of the digits match up and have certain characteristics that can be compared to each other and those known originals. Good work.

And your remarks regarding the 'winning' bidder, yeah that's been kind of the consensus for a few days now.

Last edited:
Someone out there focuses on bolt mismatch G33/40 rifles and renumbers bolts, they do a damn good job of it. It's really hard to spot some of them, it's easy whey they leave off the suffix as I don't think they have all of the right ones. The odd finish mismatch in that area is a big clue as well, along with the font. The font is very close though, some even have the correct looking curvature. It's a jungle out there.

If someone would follow sellers moving them you may find some correlation, like a certain state or seller. Never felt the need to do that, but these 33/40 hump jobs are really common it seems.

The 33/40 humpjobs use common fonts and techniques. Someone has worked on how to buff out the old serial around the bolt handle contour and add the new numbers and touch up heat blue over that. Once you've seen this work you can spot it almost immediately. For someone not familiar with original numbering and/or not familiar with this humping they could get burned in a poorly lit funshow or with less than ideal pics. The pics provided in the OP show it. A scumbag peddling a fake would not show good pics of this.

If the OP rifle is at auction or for sale the link should be posted.

It's really hard to spot some of them, it's easy whey they leave off the suffix as I don't think they have all of the right ones. The odd finish mismatch in that area is a big clue as well, along with the font. The font is very close though, some even have the correct looking curvature. It's a jungle out there.

I didn't want to say it first since possibly that guy is a lurker here. I thought that might have been the first thing that tipped you off. They are very tough to spot when you're not exactly sure what right looks like.

Great work Ham! Now here's the rub as I see it. It ran up pretty fast by the time it first made it to Dave's site. Then the chatter started there and then here and pretty quickly the bids froze. I wonder how the 'buyer' made out? $1834. + whatever.

HM, you can post the auction link. Live auctions are fine if it is exposing humping and wanking. :thumbsup:

Military Rifle Journal
Back