Third Party Press
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP G33/40 DOT 1941 no letter block

Default HELP G33/40 DOT 1941 no letter block

Good day,
    i have some doubts about the sn on the bolt. Is it correct?

thank you very much for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The serial number font looks good and the number and the proof are in the right locations and no evidence of tampering, looks ok to me too.

My opinions: the bolt numbers are a fairly decent humpjob. The font does not look correct. There appears to be evidence of re-polishing and heat discoloration / refinishing.

Please compare, L to R: OP bolt, OP bolt, originals 1 (dot 1941), 2 (dot 1941), 3 (945 1940):

OP (1).jpgOP (2).jpgdot 41 2.jpgdot 41 1.jpg945 40.JPG
    Last edited by Hambone; 11-29-2019 at 05:42 AM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

I'm also suspicious about the SN font....many thanks

Ah! I see it now in your closeup photo, clearly some heat was applied, my bad!

Quote Originally Posted by adler89 View Post
    I'm also suspicious about the SN font....many thanks
    The pictures you provided were very good. It's not easy to renumber these because it requires removal of the old serial number on the rear of the bolt stem, which is a rounded surface, then restamping those numbers on a rounded surface, with the appropriate dies. Because of the amount of money that a matching 33/40 will fetch over a non-matching example, there is much incentive to fake them. While the main serial on a K98k bolt body, the handle flat, is easier to tamper with and hump, one also has to renumber the FP, safety, extractor sometimes, and bolt collar. That's tough to almost impossible to get right. I've seen some excellent humpjobs on 33/40 bolts. On a scale of humping "quality" of 1 to 10, this gets about a 7 ;)

Note that even when the Germans actually reworked a 33/40 they did not grind and renumber the bolt handle, they did the handle flat / root:
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....940-HZa-rework

Also, when you have questions, refer to these vetted originals which we've indexed by maker and date:
    http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....eference-Index
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Quote Originally Posted by CLG View Post
    Ah! I see it now in your closeup photo, clearly some heat was applied, my bad!
    Digital pics can distort appearances, so what my look like heat discoloration and one type of numbering in a digital internets pic may look completely different in hand. However, in this case Adler's very good pictures tell the tale. The main giveaway is not the possible heat discoloration but the incorrect numbering fonts.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    ..Because of the amount of money that a matching 33/40 will fetch over a non-matching example, there is much incentive to fake them.

..I've seen some excellent humpjobs on 33/40 bolts. On a scale of humping "quality" of 1 to 10, this gets about a 7 ;)
    Here's one Mike outted in a discussion on Dave's site. This rifle is up to $1834 with 3+ days left. bad bolt 2.jpg
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Here's one Mike outted in a discussion on Dave's site. This rifle is up to $1834 with 3+ days left. bad bolt 2.jpg
    HM, thanks, Looks like the same dies, maybe the same humper. Compare:

OP (1).jpgbad bolt 2.jpg

The only thing the high bidder is "winning" is a torn up ass and wallet. The torn ass and wallet started at a about $1200, so it looks like that the "winning" is way past that now and the bidding isn't even over. For internets search purposes: G.33 / 40 , 33/40 , dot serial number 9625 and 2654
    Last edited by Hambone; 11-29-2019 at 06:20 PM.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Glad I brought that up and even more so that you looked at them together. 3 of the digits match up and have certain characteristics that can be compared to each other and those known originals. Good work.

And your remarks regarding the 'winning' bidder, yeah that's been kind of the consensus for a few days now.
    Last edited by heavy_mech; 11-29-2019 at 07:00 PM. Reason: reword
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"