Third Party Press

HELP G33/40 DOT 1941 no letter block

That seller has been talked about for years on gunboards japanese/arisaka forums. A search of the words
“ grey blanket “ should bring up several interesting threads on him

The thing with him is, and I know there are others who agree, YOU have to know what you're bidding on. If you rely on what he/his team have to say about it and take it as gospel you'll often be disappointed. I have gotten some interesting items on the cheap because they didn't know what it was, didn't list it properly and the auctions didn't drum up bids.

I'll also add this. They're very responsive, ship fast and pack really well. I'm always pleasantly surprised just how well they pack rifles.

The thing with him is, and I know there are others who agree, YOU have to know what you're bidding on. If you rely on what he/his team have to say about it and take it as gospel you'll often be disappointed. I have gotten some interesting items on the cheap because they didn't know what it was, didn't list it properly and the auctions didn't drum up bids.

I'll also add this. They're very responsive, ship fast and pack really well. I'm always pleasantly surprised just how well they pack rifles.

One must admit, he has the resell engine finely tuned .... and I will add, he seems like a pretty gentle soul in person, and not a wank. Plenty of dealers who have the wank-aura who I just won't engage with (buy from or have a conversation with).

"grey blanket"

I have seen him purchase a bad bsw39 and honestly it was auctioned as is.
Case in point, he sells what he buys and he was not aware of the level of "humpery" on that rifle.

The previous poster made an excellent point - be aware of what you are buying.
He has some good stuff and when you buy in bulk like he does, some bad stuff mixed in.

I do think that outfit should do a better job vetting stuff before auction.

My dealings with him have been nothing but positive.

The previous poster made an excellent point - be aware of what you are buying.
He has some good stuff and when you buy in bulk like he does, some bad stuff mixed in.

I do think that outfit should do a better job vetting stuff before auction.

My dealings with him have been nothing but positive.

......This.....

I see nothing wrong with the subject rifle. There is no evidence of fakery.

Reisel always provides plenty of good photographs, always more than enough to make an informed decision. Everything I've ever purchased from him has been exactly as described and shown.

Reisel always provides plenty of good photographs, always more than enough to make an informed decision. Everything I've ever purchased from him has been exactly as described and shown.

You need to look closer at the 2nd subject rifle bolt numbers and compare them to originals posted, along with the other fake posted. That's why I take the time to do that, so that it just isn't a bunch of simply "it is because I say so" a$$-talk without evidence, or substantiation. One need not take my word for it. The proof is in the facts set forth in the photographs.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is trying to ratf*ck the seller. I'm certainly not and said as much. As Ham pointed out without documenting what exactly is wrong and why it's hard/impossible to stop or track fakes and fakers. I see nothing wrong with pointing them out every time they pop up. Seeing firsthand the long reach back from members here is inspiring. I'm sure some have been tracking them for decades.

Tsmg, I am asking for some side by side comparative photographs of originals with the numbers you deem original to support your opinion that there is "no evidence of fakery." I submit that the numbering is in itself evidence of fakery based upon the evidence that I submitted. I have not said who humped the numbers, just that it is my opinion that they are humped. No one, including me, is above proving support for their positions. That's how we do things here, regardless of post count or "hobby bigwig" status. I am not right all the time and welcome being shown that my position is not correct so that I can change it. Here, the correct information is what is important, not the person providing it.

This is not our mentality, the mentality that kept the Great Champagne Rune Hoax alive for over 20 years past when it should have been exposed:

hicks god.JPG

Last edited:
Craig, my opinion differs from yours. No big deal. Best regards, Howard

This is why you have to pay attention to who you listen to on forums. TSMGguy’s opinion is a bad bolt is OK (hint, it’s clearly bad), just remember that when he’s giving advice on humped up junk calling it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig, my opinion differs from yours. No big deal. Best regards, Howard

.....and the value of this site is that you are free to espouse that opinion, however wrong I and other mods think it is without us deleting it. That transparency is important because it is difficult to know if there is latent bias or interests driving opinions. It makes us review our opinions and support them with more than “because I say so.” The truth and correctness is what is important. Our members can see my pictures and opinion, those of others, yours, and weigh them.

Personally, I really like when a “9” , “6”, or a “5” are in a Brunn serial, easy when you know what to look for...

Personally, I really like when a “9” , “6”, or a “5” are in a Brunn serial, easy when you know what to look for...

Agreed BiO. I think many manufactures have some type of digit or stamp that's a somewhat unique and easy identifier as legit or not. Nearly impossible to fake since they're not 'standard' by general comparison. At least for certain periods of time this is true. Also how they're marked..or not.

Both the humper and the SRiesel 33/40 bear the exact bolt font and show evidence of polishing and restamping. Neither looks like any known originals. They look like Brunn numbering from perhaps several feet off, but not up close, as what is obvious to me from the pics.

.....and the value of this site is that you are free to espouse that opinion, however wrong I and other mods think it is without us deleting it. That transparency is important because it is difficult to know if there is latent bias or interests driving opinions. It makes us review our opinions and support them with more than “because I say so.” The truth and correctness is what is important. Our members can see my pictures and opinion, those of others, yours, and weigh them.

You're a good man.

In particular I was looking at the OP's photos #11 and #12. The stock serial numbers look just as I'd expect them too, right down to the color and wear on the surrounding wood. In photo #12 of the bolt handle, if the number is faked, it's awfully good, as the original fine final surface milling still seems to be present on the steel around the serial.

I claim no expertise except what little has been gained from long exposure and much collecting. I can be fooled, but if these things have been faked they're awfully good!

Last edited:
You're a good man.

In particular I was looking at the OP's photos #11 and #12. The stock serial numbers look just as I'd expect them too, right down to the color and wear on the surrounding wood. In photo #12 of the bolt handle, if the number is faked, it's awfully good, as the original fine final surface milling still seems to be present on the steel around the serial.

Yes, I claim no expertise except what little has been gained from long exposure and much collecting. I can be fooled, but if these things have been faked they're awfully good!

Well, thats the point, there is someone out there humping these, and are pretty good at it, but for sure, fonts are not the same...look at the 5's and 9's on the OP's pics of the bolt compared to genuine ones, easy to spot the differences in the 5's and 9's for sure...

When the difference in price on average between a bolt mismatch and a matching example is $700 to $1000 and up, lots of reasons to hump stuff.

People are scum...at least this site helps expose the scum and fakery out there...

Like Obi Wan said in Episode IV, 98k collecting, you won't find a more wretched hive of scum and humpers...:laugh:

Thank you Tsmg. An important part of the transparency is so that we all learn, which specifically includes me. What Pzjgr said. The fonts and the humpery is pretty good, and I've seen it (or similar work) before. I was speaking to the bolt numbering, though one of those stocks looks a little wanked.

Military Rifle Journal
Back