Third Party Press

Rock Island Auction realized price - word of caution

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
I recently purchased a K98k from the regional auction for a hammer price of 1600.00.
By the time the final bill arrived it was over 2100.00.

So here's what you get:

1. Hammer Price
2. Buyers premium
3. Shipping
4. Insurance
5. State sales tax

The last one is the big surprise as its the first time I was hit with this.

I would hate to be the guy that buys a 20,000.00 sniper because when the smoke clears
you are looking well over 25,000.00

Not all states have a sales tax but I know Texas and Ohio do.

Wow that sucks to hear Bruce this kind of reminds of a carbine I bought from an auction house down south. I paid like $450 for the carbine but after all the fees, taxes, shipping, and transfer cost it was almost like $675 when I finally got it.

Unless there is something at auctions like this that you have to own for you collection go for it but keep all those fees and extra costs in mind.

I think it is up to 31 states that jumped on the online sales tax. eBay hits a lot of people with it too. Most auctions if you phone bid it is cheapest and using proxibid or another third party site is the most expensive.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Looking quickly it maybe up to 41 that collect remote online sales tax.

There are only 5 states that collect no online sales tax.

2018 SCOTUS decision in SD v Wayfair opened the door for the sales tax collection.

It’s up to 34 States and it truly does make it tough when there’s going to be, in my case, 8.7% State Sales Tax added time the final sum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in PA Bruce and it's been on for about a year or even a bit more. Most gun sites like Apex, Numrich, whatever they automatically add it on when you go to checkout. Ehay too. It's the new reality unfortunately.

prices ...

... i just won an old pistol in the amoskeag on-line auction for 250 and the final amount i had to send was 327.50 ....... calculate the final amount i want to spend and go backwards with all the extras. that is probably why i don't win too many items,.......

calculate the final amount i want to spend and go backwards with all the extras. that is probably why i don't win too many items,.......

Finally someone who's in the same world I am. That's how I roll this. You're not alone brother

... i just won an old pistol in the amoskeag on-line auction for 250 and the final amount i had to send was 327.50 ....... calculate the final amount i want to spend and go backwards with all the extras. that is probably why i don't win too many items,.......
Honestly that isn't too bad. If you bought from a private seller they would have to ship via FFL01 which would cost minimum $38 ($25 FFL fee + $13 priority) or they would have to send overnight (if completely following all rules) which would be at least $50. Most auctions have a buyers premium of 15-20% so $37.50-$50.

I bought a rifle earlier this year in a Holabird auction and the buyers premium was 25%! Hammer price was $550 and by the time I got it in hand, including FFL transfer on my end, I paid close to $800. But fortunately it was still a screaming deal.

I bought a rifle earlier this year in a Holabird auction and the buyers premium was 25%! Hammer price was $550 and by the time I got it in hand, including FFL transfer on my end, I paid close to $800. But fortunately it was still a screaming deal.

Yeap that was the name of the auction house that got me with all those fees. You know that called me last month saying I still owned them money for taxes or something. I sent them an email of the invoice they sent me showing I paid everything they asked for. They made a mistake but was still kind of annoying.

Yeap that was the name of the auction house that got me with all those fees. You know that called me last month saying I still owned them money for taxes or something. I sent them an email of the invoice they sent me showing I paid everything they asked for. They made a mistake but was still kind of annoying.

Funny, I got the same thing from them. An invoice for another 30-something bucks for shipping, after I already paid them $50 for shipping. Sorry guys, I already have the gun and you aren't getting another penny from me.

Funny, I got the same thing from them. An invoice for another 30-something bucks for shipping, after I already paid them $50 for shipping. Sorry guys, I already have the gun and you aren't getting another penny from me.

Wow are you kidding me so it wasn't a mistake sounds like they were trying to get another $30-$40 out of us. We didn't buy into that BS but how many people just paid it again. What a joke.

Auctions also load in all those fees when they show “realized prices”. That’s a bit deceptive and calculated to raise prices and show how successful they are at getting high prices when probably upwards of 1/3 of that is their fees.

Ohhhhh don't get me started on Holabird.... I could write a 3 page rant on them.

They are still, very ineffectively, trying to get $648 in shipping that they thought was fair for shipping 7 rifles.

Ohhhhh don't get me started on Holabird.... I could write a 3 page rant on them.

They are still, very ineffectively, trying to get $648 in shipping that they thought was fair for shipping 7 rifles.

Wow that factors out to $92 to ship a rifle without insurance what a bargain. :googlie

Holy shite. I never heard of this auction house but sounds like they need to be added to scammer list.

Military Rifle Journal
Back