Third Party Press

Opinions on dou44

Kammerjaeger

I remain poor at detecting humped rifles, and have been (rightly) chastised here for suggesting a legit rifle was humped. Having said that, this dou 44 semi-krieg looks good to me. But with my craptastic track record, I’m not going to be surprised if I’m wrong, but this one does look legit to me. Stock does appear lightly sanded. BTW, I have no affiliation.

Gun Broker Auction # 845984094. For whatever reason I could not post the photos here, and I’m not supposed to post the link, right?

Thoughts?

KJ

Last edited:
I thought I had seen dou 44 SK without prefix. But I could be wrong. What about the bolt # concerns you? Was MO the only manufacturer to transition from oval to round gas escape ports?

KJ

Something looks off with the bolt SN. It also doesn’t have the ff letter suffix which raises questions.

I thought it looked a bit 'weird' to me too for some reason. Maybe just because I'm so used to seeing the suffix but it was dropped in the big serial reduction bb/cc block of '44. He also doesn't show bolt bottom? The small firing proof eagle on the ball all but confirms it's GtG.

It would be nice if he took more detailed pics of the bolt, a bit more up close. Something about the font looked off, but maybe it’s the angle. Thanks for the clarification Heavy Mech, I’m used to seeing the suffix on bolts too and wasn’t sure about it’s eventual deletion. I have a dou 44 bb block with the suffix on the bolt. Probably was one of the last to have it. It also has the large firing proof on the bolt root, I know that change to the small proof was done right around that point.

I have requested a photo of the underside of the bolt handle. We’ll see if I get it.

Virtually certain it will be e/63 but still nice to see it. Everything else looks spot on. I was a bit surprised by a few areas of the stock seemed worn/damaged that didn't really seem commensurate with the metal finish and wear. Also the spanner holes in the band screws seem a bit buggered but 75 years of someone monkeying with it would explain that I suppose.

Virtually certain it will be e/63 but still nice to see it. Everything else looks spot on. I was a bit surprised by a few areas of the stock seemed worn/damaged that didn't really seem commensurate with the metal finish and wear. Also the spanner holes in the band screws seem a bit buggered but 75 years of someone monkeying with it would explain that I suppose.

Here's an example on my dou 44 bolt.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20191129_125717.jpg
    20191129_125717.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 157
Stock is ugly for that kind of money, looks like an old cleaning job or something.

Well like Bruce said... "Bolt is textbook for Brunn II." I commented mostly because I was surprised he overlooked showing it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back