Third Party Press

Abnehmbarer Lauf Detachable Barrel 98

GunKraut, thank you for the picture. Do any fourm members know anything about this. The straight bolt is different. I am learning more the the previous 20 years when all I knew was based on a false story

Musee de l’Armee des Invalides, Paris, Dec. 2017, behind glass. Not sure why a straight bolt.

View attachment 222598

Might be one from the Mauser Factory Collection, which France "took over" post WWII. Bolt might had been missing and been replaced by a bolt which was at hand.

Just to have it mentioned: the original manual for the K98k detachable barrel shows pictures of a rifle which is different from the one in the Pattern Room. Therefore there must had been different models with a detachable barrel.

Where prototypes of historic firearms have survived they're often quite rough. They were used to make decisions about shape and functionality, often without worrying too much about polish and refinement. A draw file wielded by an expert is often the most sophisticated tool used. Might be the case here. After all, there was probably no need to produce an entire rifle to make proof of concept prototypes for a take-down model. Mauser only had to modify rifles already being produced. As prototypes were produced, they probably got more refined. This rifle would appear to have little or no provenance, and I'd want to know more about that if it was ever offered for sale.

Looks like the stock was off a RC. The left side of the buttstock looks flat and clean from sanding the numbers out.

current thread

Actually the stock is not an Oberndorf stock at all.
Cupped buttplate with small takedown disk -- never happened at Mauser.

B.

So here is where we are. The rifle appeared in some auction a few years back. Did the man who sold it to me buy it at that auction? Did he put it in the auction and it did not sell and he got it back? Did the auction house refuse to sell it because they thought it might be a fake? I took it apart and looked it over with a hand lens. Both ears on the takedown plate were broken off and flame welded back and crudely ground to fit. The takedown lever was broken and the lever was flame welded and the weld crudely ground. The machining on the plates is very good. The barrel assembly machining is top notch. The gun still locks up tight as new. The barrel markings appear authentic as do all the numbers. I can see no restamps or ground off numbers. But with all that said is it authentic? The next big question is what is it worth? Is it worth 500.00 or 1200.00 or what? Let me hear from some fourm members.

One other issue is the round gas ports in the bolt, this machining simplification didn’t occur until 1943 on 98k’s.

I can't imagine how those parts would have been damaged. I would say that is how they were made by whom ever made this replica. It is still neat. I could see getting what you mentioned for it. The craftsmanship of the Germans was incredible, which this one lacks.

Buy the gun not the story.

I don't think a good answer can be formulated with what we have...the pics are crap, grainy, fuzzy, can't make out details, and key pics are missing...

As Flynaked points out, if the bolt matches, and has round gas holes on a byf 42...something odd there...could be a humped bolt. Bruce points out the stock is not MO, another strike, and the inletting work around the takedown lever looks very crappy, not something you'd expect from a German armorer or factory, not withstanding the one off hand made theory...

Now, on the plus side, to me, it would seem that machining that interrupted thread attachment and having it fit tightly and properly has got to be very, very difficult without lots of the right equipment and know how...although I am not a machinist, maybe Fly can speak to that....

I guess there is the slim possibility it is a real take down, that had the stock either lost or so badly damaged someone tried to whittle a replacement kind of poorly...

I would say without much better and more detailed pics, at this point you'd have to go with a fake or put together...but it will be interesting to see how this plays out...

https://www.armygottes.com/foro/5-articulos-tecnicos/17246-kar-98-qcortoq#17250

The stock looks worked on where the R/C number would be. Here's another set of pics from pinterest.

a71f20b4b8de245960d8df4a4667bbe1.jpg

I think you are right. I took a close look at the stock and it appears to be sanded and the numbers restamped. The stock is flatten and below the buttplate. Also the stock is broken out under the takedown plate. The fit of the trigger guard is not up to factory. All the evidence leads to a replacement stock. The original stock was damage/broken at the takedown breaking all the takedown ears and breaking the lever which was welded and a new stock fitted by not a too good a stock maker. This answere a lot of questio.

I don't think a good answer can be formulated with what we have...the pics are crap, grainy, fuzzy, can't make out details, and key pics are missing...

As Flynaked points out, if the bolt matches, and has round gas holes on a byf 42...something odd there...could be a humped bolt. Bruce points out the stock is not MO, another strike, and the inletting work around the takedown lever looks very crappy, not something you'd expect from a German armorer or factory, not withstanding the one off hand made theory...

Now, on the plus side, to me, it would seem that machining that interrupted thread attachment and having it fit tightly and properly has got to be very, very difficult without lots of the right equipment and know how...although I am not a machinist, maybe Fly can speak to that....

I guess there is the slim possibility it is a real take down, that had the stock either lost or so badly damaged someone tried to whittle a replacement kind of poorly...

I would say without much better and more detailed pics, at this point you'd have to go with a fake or put together...but it will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Interrupted threads are not that hard to do. You are just basically removing metal. Not saying it would be easy but not really requiring a lot of skill.

I think you are right. I took a close look at the stock and it appears to be sanded and the numbers restamped. The stock is flatten and below the buttplate. Also the stock is broken out under the takedown plate. The fit of the trigger guard is not up to factory. All the evidence leads to a replacement stock. The original stock was damage/broken at the takedown breaking all the takedown ears and breaking the lever which was welded and a new stock fitted by not a too good a stock maker. This answere a lot of questio.

It doesn't really answer any questions, its just a possibility...a maybe...someone with real knowledge would either have to evaluate it in person, or lots and much better, clearer pictures of literally everything would need to be posted for evaluation...

Way too much at stake value wise, one way or the other, just to say good theory, case closed....

Interrupted threads are not that hard to do. You are just basically removing metal. Not saying it would be easy but not really requiring a lot of skill.

You think the threads were the original barrel and receiver threads, and they just had to be milled out correctly to work? If thats the case, I can see it being doable I suppose...

I think the only way you can make a interrupted thread woul be to fit a barrel, headspace it, index it, then mill out the area between the threads. The barrel would not be too hard but the receiver would take some skill.

It doesn't really answer any questions, its just a possibility...a maybe...someone with real knowledge would either have to evaluate it in person, or lots and much better, clearer pictures of literally everything would need to be posted for evaluation...

Way too much at stake value wise, one way or the other, just to say good theory, case closed....

Zoom in on the receiver serial number in the pics I posted. Look how sloppily the serial suffix appears to be stamped. I am almost certain it's a total fake made to replicate the one in BBOTW (same one Bruce posted). It has a close SN and probably the same letter block, both of which are probably fake. Not enough detail to say much about the FP but it looks odd also.

As you say, better pics would tell the tale, but I bet I'm right.

Military Rifle Journal
Back