Third Party Press
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Abnehmbarer Lauf Detachable Barrel 98

Ehhh, just skip it all, and get a Jap Type 2....

Quote Originally Posted by GunKraut View Post
    Except, the lever only keeps the stock from rotating. The only thing keeping the barrel from unscrewing after a couple rounds is the rear sight hand guard lip.
    Nope! Look at the pics. The locking lug is milled into the shoulder of the barrel as well as the receiver. (almost like a key on an electric motor shaft)
    No movement can occur. Look at pics 1 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    Nope! Look at the pics. The locking lug is milled into the shoulder of the barrel as well as the receiver. (almost like a key on an electric motor shaft)
    No movement can occur. Look at pics 1 and 3.
    I stand corrected. It is actually shown keyed in the pictures you mentioned. I had in mind the B/W picture of the soldier holding the separated rifle parts and it only shows a locking hole in the stock's face plate, not slotted all way up into the receiver.

Attempt tp post pictures of my takedown

Did it work
    Attached Images Attached Images

very crude work compared to a German wartime made on. Still a neat reproduction. Since no one will likely ever get to own a real one, this is the next best thing. I would shot if I got to look at it and felt it was safe.

I shot it with 20 rounds of ammo of unknown Middle East headstamps. It shot just fine as the lock up is like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    My bet is this was one of the "exotic" K98ks on Gunbonker maybe 10 years back that we were clowning here. It's been bobbing around like a turd in the surf looking for a beach to wash up on. Perhaps it washed up on a couple beaches since then and was tossed back into the water. There was this one (or its twin made by the same humper), a side folding stock, and a "bakelite stock". All of these were listed for high dollar (five figures) on Gunbonker and were laughable to someone with knowledge, but would probably fascinate the standard funshow table fly whose research and learning did not extend past a copy of BOTW. The trick is finding someone ignorant but also with deep pockets. Those people didn't earn that money, they inherited it or came into it as a matter of luck (e.g., lottery or Saudi prince). It's hard to find that person at a funshow between the distractions of getting your glasses cleaned, knife sharpened, sampling deer jerky, and shopping Hellfire cranks for 10/22s. So it winds up on Gunbonker with carnival barking. The problem there is it gets on our radar screen and becomes the source of amusing ridicule such that it is forever tainted.

As set forth, I see nothing about this thing beyond the skill of a decent (not great) machinist and gunsmith. A truly excellent machinist and gunsmith could really turn out something interesting, which is not the case here. Again, I would fire this, but tied to a tire with a lanyard from behind a tree about 20 feet away.
    The Sturgess Collection contained some real whoppers. At least, back in the day the information was not at one's fingertips as it is today and books were incomplete and/or erroneous. The combination of this and Geoffrey Sturgess' honestly earned fortune resulted in a large collection of diamonds and cubic zirconia.

EABB26D8-263B-463C-9434-0BC7C22DF7EF.jpg
    46D55C2A-7907-4D4D-AE25-7C159D55BEA6.jpg
    895FD6BA-C95F-4B0C-8CC9-7698DC8A0A79.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian21 View Post
    Did it work
    These three photos tell me the gun is fake. Look at that poor metal fitting work, evidence of a rough bastard file, what looks like home bluing. This is the work of a machinist looking to get something done, not of a craftsman that worked with guns on a daily basis.
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards