Third Party Press
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Abnehmbarer Lauf Detachable Barrel 98

Default Abnehmbarer Lauf Detachable Barrel 98

You have this all figured out already, guess you really didn't need our assistance. Happy collecting!
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Some professional pictures from 2009 or earlier--from an auction house I guess?--of what appears to be this same gun. 2992cc, same dent behind the bolt cutout. Pics aren't great, but some of the other stamps look a little weird too. May be a total fake end to end, hard to know without better pics.2233499.jpg2233503.jpg2233501.jpg2233497.jpg2233495.jpg2233493.jpg

Well I can tell the way the bolt numbering is that is not Mauser quality right there. Looks like some hack tried to remember the bolt parts to match. So that's not a good sign already.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Mauser takedown

Will let the jury decide. These are original images from the Royal Pattern Room.

B.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bruce98k; 12-02-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

Guys, I think Sebastian may be the ole "Vegas Flash" from Gunbonker auction fame from years back. Don't y'all remember, he had this "takedown", a "bakelite stock K98k", that hinged stock K98k, and some other exotic stuff that looked made by someone with moderate gunsmith skillz, or a decent gunsmith on psychedelics?
    Last edited by Hambone; 12-02-2019 at 11:23 PM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Thank you bruce98k. This is what I hoped a forum member could furnish. Pictures from a known real one. My gun was a battle field pick up and over the years two crude repairs were made to the takedown furnature. One forum member said I had my mind made up and did not want to see the facts. He is right, I long ago thought it was a fake. But now I do not know, my numbers are the same, the action is correct and different from a normal action and the proofs on the receiver on mine are two and three on the original. A faker would not made this mistake. But I am still open to the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian21 View Post
    Thank you bruce98k. This is what I hoped a forum member could furnish. Pictures from a known real one. My gun was a battle field pick up and over the years two crude repairs were made to the takedown furnature. One forum member said I had my mind made up and did not want to see the facts. He is right, I long ago thought it was a fake. But now I do not know, my numbers are the same, the action is correct and different from a normal action and the proofs on the receiver on mine are two and three on the original. A faker would not made this mistake. But I am still open to the facts.
    The known real one is finely machined, fit, and finished. Unfortunately, yours is not.

Better pictures of the barrel/receiver and bolt serial numbers would probably confirm those have been faked on your rifle as well.

Why do people like hambone think just because something is found somebody is up to something? I never seen a folding stock 98 and I am not even close to being a expert on the 98. I just bought this from a WWII veteran. I bought it because I thought it was neat. I Am 80 years old and had a major heart attack so I decided to sell off my guns. I took this to the big Reno show and several people sad this was really rare and just about everybody wanted to buy it. Several said it was a fake, they could not say why but it had to be because some dumb fat old nobody was walking around with it. The WWII veteran said he got this from a pile of guns in the town square. He could have been telling me a story but but he certainly did not look like somebody that faked mausers, I do not want to sell it too cheap nor do I want to cheat anybody. So let me hear you opinion based on facts.

The pictures from RayonE just came up and I think he is right. It sounds like the old man told me what I wanted to hear. So we are making headway as this gun was sold by a aucton house. Can any body find out what it was described as and how much it sold for?

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian21 View Post
    Why do people like hambone think just because something is found somebody is up to something? I never seen a folding stock 98 and I am not even close to being a expert on the 98. I just bought this from a WWII veteran. I bought it because I thought it was neat. I Am 80 years old and had a major heart attack so I decided to sell off my guns. I took this to the big Reno show and several people sad this was really rare and just about everybody wanted to buy it. Several said it was a fake, they could not say why but it had to be because some dumb fat old nobody was walking around with it. The WWII veteran said he got this from a pile of guns in the town square. He could have been telling me a story but but he certainly did not look like somebody that faked mausers, I do not want to sell it too cheap nor do I want to cheat anybody. So let me hear you opinion based on facts.
    "People like Hambone" sounds an awful lot like "you people." I do believe that if something is found somebody is up to something. Nothing can be found unless someone is up to something, such as looking for things, looking at things, or just wandering around. All of these activities could not take place if people were up to nothing. The only people who don't find things are those people (or former people) who are up to nothing. For example, Jimmy Hoffa will find nothing because he is up to nothing.

What does "somebody that faked Mausers" look like?
    Last edited by Hambone; 12-03-2019 at 12:44 AM.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945