Third Party Press
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abnehmbarer Lauf Detachable Barrel 98

Default Abnehmbarer Lauf Detachable Barrel 98

I have had this 42 BYF takedown 98 for years. I have been trying to figure if it is real or fake. I do not know how to post pictures which is what I need but it is EXACTLY like the one in the “The book on Mauser rifles”. The only difference is my rifle has only two proof marks on the right of the receiver instead of three. It is 90 numbers off the one shown in the book. The only other thing is my rifle was issued and shows wartime use. I understand that only three or four are known. My rifle is a second war bring back. Rock Island Auction sold one at action a while back. Are there any forum members who can tell me if this is the real deal. I can email pictures to a real knowable forum member

If you’d like, I can upload the pictures for you, I’m sure we would all love to see it!

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default takedown K98k

Would love to see some images of your rifle. If verified, perhaps the only example held in private hands.
    The two examples in the book are held in the Royal Pattern Room collection in GB.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

If I remember correctly somewhen in the last 20 years Swiss auction company Kessler sold a K98k with detachable barrel for around € 50.000.

Workmanship is terrible, not a real one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

First, Sebastian, thank you for offering it up for us to review.

I have to agree that the workmanship is rather poor. I wouldn't shoot it unless it was tied to a tire with about a 30 foot lanyard from behind a tree.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Default Takedown

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

I have to agree that the workmanship is rather poor. I wouldn't shoot it unless it was tied to a tire with about a 30 foot lanyard from behind a tree.
    These rifles were hand made and had a reputation of poor workmanship they were never adapted by the paratroopers. This rifle went through the war and was abused along the way. I have shot it will ball ammo and it shoots just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

These were all handmade and had a reputation of poor workmanship. They were never used by the paratroopers. This rifle went through the war with all the benefits of war time use. I have shot this with ball ammo and it worked just fine.