Third Party Press

Good Evening Everyone!

mach1matt

Hey guys, my name's Matt and I'm obviously new here. I've always wanted a 98k and stumbled across one the other day at a LGS that looked like a decent price. I ended up here after some Googling and came across this wealth of information. The rifle appears to be mostly matching with the exception of the bolt assembly which I guess is pretty common. It's byf 42 IIRC. I just wish I took some pics.

Hey guys, my name's Matt and I'm obviously new here. I've always wanted a 98k and stumbled across one the other day at a LGS that looked like a decent price. I ended up here after some Googling and came across this wealth of information. The rifle appears to be mostly matching with the exception of the bolt assembly which I guess is pretty common. It's byf 42 IIRC. I just wish I took some pics.

Welcome aboard, a byf42 is not rare but is difficult to find in any kind of matching condition. Hope you pay a fair price for it but without photos we can't guide you on it's value.

Welcome aboard, a byf42 is not rare but is difficult to find in any kind of matching condition. Hope you pay a fair price for it but without photos we can't guide you on it's value.

I'm honestly on the fence as to whether or not I want to spend that kind of money right now. There's no way I would without taking pics first and posting them here though. It's a cool rifle though. Definitely looks like it was used in the war and possibly a vet bring back as it didn't appear to have any import marks on it. I'll be seeing my friend in the area in about a week so if they still have it, i'll take some pics then. Thanks!

An honest, bolt mismatch without any other issues will generally run about $800-$1,200. Rarer codes will command more. Byf42 being harder to locate can/will run medium to the higher value of that. Again if it has no other issues. If it comes with an original sling, sight hood and/or cleaning rod... even better.

An honest, bolt mismatch without any other issues will generally run about $800-$1,200. Rarer codes will command more. Byf42 being harder to locate can/will run medium to the higher value of that. Again if it has no other issues. If it comes with an original sling, sight hood and/or cleaning rod... even better.

Sounds like I dodged a bullet then. They were looking to get $1850 for it... If memory serves me right the only thing I saw that didn't match was the bolt assembly. Not sure about the stock as I didn't know where to look for the serial number at the time. The front sight hood looked like it wasn't on all the way, as if it could have been a millimeter more forward or so. It did have a sling but that was it. I can't recall if the barrel bands were serialized or not. Other than that, it looked like a wartime rifle that saw action as it wasn't pristine looking by any means but not rotting or corroded as well. I guess time will tell when I go back in a week. Thanks a lot for your input!

Last edited:
Bands SHOULD be numbered. Stock and handguard internally. Look up a byf42 in the picture reference section for how one should look.

Military Rifle Journal
Back