Third Party Press

Germania Waffenwerke A.G. commercial 7x64 sporter from 1941

Absolut

I've had this rifle for a long time and bought it for being an original period sporter from 1941 in a rather uncommon caliber by an uncommon maker. It had been hidden from Allied forces rather poorly cared for in 1945, resulting in damage to the otherwise excellent and marvellous engravings and the stock. The stock was in a such poor condition that I've had to take a decision which I usually deny - I've had to give it to someone for restoration and replace the missing buttplate (well, a few rubber pieces were still hanging there) with a new one as well. A gunsmith which had specialized himself to rifle stocks completely overhauled the stock, re-cut checkering professionally so that the stock now is now perfect again. This of course is impossible with the metal and the engraving, despite of this it still looks quite nice.

The particular rifle is interesting in that it was manufactured by the Germania Waffenwerke A.G. from Zella-Mehlis (if I'm not mistaken this is Anschütz). It carries commercial German firing proof on bottom of the barrel from August 1941, similar to those of the SS Gew98 conversions. The caliber at 7x64 is a rather uncommon caliber, as well as the rifle being special in that it was not fitted with a scope nor scope mount. Another detail to point out is the additional safety switch the rifle was fitted with at the side. It is properly and fully working.

While I know this might not fit to the normal discussion and topic of this forum, I had hoped it would nevertheless be an interesting piece for reference since I after having owned it for several years considered to part with it, so I'm posting it for future reference in here.

Attachments

• Germania_01.jpg
    Germania_01.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Germania_02.jpg
    Germania_02.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Germania_03.jpg
    Germania_03.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 82
  • Germania_04.jpg
    Germania_04.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Germania_05.jpg
    Germania_05.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Germania_06.jpg
    Germania_06.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Germania_07.jpg
    Germania_07.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Germania_08.jpg
    Germania_08.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Germania_09.jpg
    Germania_09.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Germania_10.jpg
    Germania_10.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Germania_11.jpg
    Germania_11.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 57
Looks like a very classy rifle indeed. Love the engraving and the wood also. Bet not many were produced in this style. Thanks for sharing.

The 7x64 Brenkke is not really an uncommon caliber for the time. I have a sporter made after the war in 7mm06 (forerunner to the 280 remington). Wish is was the Brenkke instead, just for nostalgia.

Gorgeous rifle thanks for sharing. For comparison sake, would you happen to have an image of the rifle before the stock restoration?

Neat rifle, I’ve always wanted a 7x64. Anything known about the circumstances surrounding how it was found in this condition?

Very cool. I have a 7x64 Brenneke but it's a modern stainless steel Zastava. Not nearly as cool looking as this but more practical I guess.

Gorgeous rifle thanks for sharing. For comparison sake, would you happen to have an image of the rifle before the stock restoration?

Sorry, I didn't take one. It had hurt my eyes to see it like this so a week after I got it I handed it over for restoration. The rust had been removed when I got it, fortunately because the previous owner had found it like 20 years earlier what had prevented it from having even more traces. He didn't fire a single shot in this period and sold it on to me when he noticed he didn't have any usage for it. Now that I have had it for several years myself I pulled it out and noticed I don't have any usage for it either. So sooner or later I'll sell it too.

Any indications as to whether it was blued or color case?

If you are to ask me, the receiver and all metal parts were left in the white, whereas the barrel originally was blued. Not even the inside parts which were never visible on the outside (bolt, etc.) show any traces of ever having been blued, in contrast to the barrel which still has traces of former blueing.

Military Rifle Journal
Back