Third Party Press

BYF 41 stock help

bshmail24

Hello!

A friend of mine is interested in picking up a k98 locally. However we both have concerns about the stock. The owner got it from a collector, he stated the rifle sat for a long time and collected a lot of dust. When he got it in possession he wiped the rifle down and then applied wood protection wax. Does the ruin the stock and collector value of the rifle? Also any red flags on the rifle? Owner states it’s all matching, which appears so from what I can tell. Anyways here are the photos! Thanks as always for any help!

https://imgur.com/a/eEg8PXG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that guy destroyed what was probably a nice gun. This is what idiots do, they try to improve stuff and end up making it not even worth owning.

Wiped it down. Yeah, with 400 grit sandpaper.

Thanks guys for the help! Always appreciate the wealth of knowledge this forum has!

Yeah, that guy destroyed what was probably a nice gun. This is what idiots do, they try to improve stuff and end up making it not even worth owning.

Wiped it down. Yeah, with 400 grit sandpaper.

It's Stammtisch, I know it lol

Giving the current owner the benefit of the doubt, maybe he didn't do it, but it was done. Makes no difference now who's to blame, it is what it is. Too bad, because otherwise looks like a nice rifle, and right or wrong, plenty of people would be happy to own it, for the right price. What is he asking?

Giving the current owner the benefit of the doubt, maybe he didn't do it, but it was done. Makes no difference now who's to blame, it is what it is. Too bad, because otherwise looks like a nice rifle, and right or wrong, plenty of people would be happy to own it, for the right price. What is he asking?

sat for a long time and collected a lot of dust.

Yes and? When I own something and it gets 'dusty' my first thought isn't to drown it in clear goop

When he got it in possession he wiped the rifle down and then applied wood protection wax.

What does that even mean? What is 'wood protection wax'? Google shows a wide variety of products from Johnson's Paste wax to water-based poly and even our favorite 'Howard's'. wax.jpg

And just like in our discussion regarding Howard's, we say "drops" rubbed in the entire stock this guy I guess literally dumped a quart on it and slathered it around with a mop? Seriously... I can see the goop dripping on this edge. Maybe he's already added another coat? Come on man. dripping.jpg

$1650? Before, probably pretty easily. Maybe more? Now? Hit it with the buffer and send it to GB with a bullshit story about how Nazi's glossed up their rifles before a big attack.

Military Rifle Journal
Back