Third Party Press

byf44 help needed

MarkDD

Hi,
Been offered this byf44 in supposed unused condition everything appears matching unrefined etc typical ruff wood finish etc .I have the books on the Kriegsmodel but can't find the configuration except on a high turret modal.
full Kriegsmodel stock with takedown disk? hope the photos help only size I have Thanks Mark.

Attachments

• DSC_0001-16.jpg
    DSC_0001-16.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0036-2.jpg
    DSC_0036-2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0039-2.jpg
    DSC_0039-2.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0011-13.jpg
    DSC_0011-13.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0012-20.jpg
    DSC_0012-20.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0025-9-493x1024.jpg
    DSC_0025-9-493x1024.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0017-16.jpg
    DSC_0017-16.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0008-15.jpg
    DSC_0008-15.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0015-19.jpg
    DSC_0015-19.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0020-12.jpg
    DSC_0020-12.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 71
Dose the bolt match and do you have pictures of the bolt? Depending on the asking price it looks very nice.

Hi,
bolt matches rest of weapon not that there are too many parts numbers, numbers look ok struggling to resize the photos, so is it correct for a full kliegs to have a takedown disk.
waA135 stopped just behind take down disk.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_30f.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_30f.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 50
a couple more

Attachments

• DSC_0028-8.jpg
    DSC_0028-8.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0006-15.jpg
    DSC_0006-15.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0038-3.jpg
    DSC_0038-3.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0023-8.jpg
    DSC_0023-8.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 41
Looks to be a matching barreled action sitting in a dou45 stock. Atleast thats what it looks like to me. Others have far greater knowledge on the subject. Ive never seen a byf44 that was semi kriegsmodell. (stock disk, but no bayonet lug or band spring)

John.

Looks to be a matching barreled action sitting in a dou45 stock. Atleast thats what it looks like to me. Others have far greater knowledge on the subject. Ive never seen a byf44 that was semi kriegsmodell. (stock disk, but no bayonet lug or band spring)

John.

OP did mention it has the WaA 135 stamp though, and dou should have no external markings anyway. Unless the stamp is fake... can you take a photo of the 135 stamp? I wonder if it's a late war svw45 (formerly byf) stock. I dont think it would have a take down disk though...

Last edited:
only photo I have of stock stamp,
In the volume 3 Kriegsmodell book page 107 shows a byf44 l block high turret with a stock disk, it states that rifles chosen for high turret use had them fitted? as the rifle appears to be totally unused bore appears never to have been used,pherhaps this weapon was taken from the factory before the sniper conversion was finished? just a thought.
Mark

Attachments

• DSC_0042-3-2.jpg
    DSC_0042-3-2.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 66
There has been just 1 other late byf rifle reported in this configuration, but this stock has been sanded and refinished so it’s hard to make out the stamp. How about on the keel, any markings? What does the barrel channel look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only photo I have of stock stamp,
In the volume 3 Kriegsmodell book page 107 shows a byf44 l block high turret with a stock disk, it states that rifles chosen for high turret use had them fitted? as the rifle appears to be totally unused bore appears never to have been used,pherhaps this weapon was taken from the factory before the sniper conversion was finished? just a thought.
Mark

I don't have Vol 3 and I'm not totally familiar with Kriegsmodell/sniper variants, but I do know there are byf 44 examples in Vol 2. I'd have to look later on today to see if it goes into later models.

Hi,
Photos arnt that good in close ups supposably the stock has not been sanded/refinished which is apparent in hand as it is quit ruff.if the configuration is legit then I'll go and have a look.no photos under the hood I;m afraid.
thanksMark

Its been sanded, but luckily doesn't look refinished. It might feel rough in hand as it doesn't have any finish. Which is correct. The sanded part however, is not. If you go to our picture reference section of the forum you will see other examples that are not sanded. Its quite apparent.

John.

100% guaranteed it’s sanded which affects the value. Rough feeling does not equal unsanded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I have to agree with the above assessments. It's well executed (as these things go) but still sanded/cleaned. I can't put my finger on exactly what techniques were used but a few things look 'off'. Tint of wood; zoom the heck out of pic 6 and look around the recoil lug hole. Check the edges of same hole. As mentioned it's 'rough' feeling but visually under mag it's not the right rough. Also as noted there are some excellent examples to view in the stickie.

So.
Its been sanded sometime but not refinished?if it is one of the rifles set aside for H/T mounting but not completed perhaps it was sanded as part of that prospect.

Military Rifle Journal
Back