Third Party Press

OVT 44 K98k Canvas Action Cover Analysis

Sorry for the delay Steveo, been busy at work. It was an interesting review. All things have been reproduced since the 80s and before, even very mundane things. I use "Pakistan" as a general catchall for any small factory or setup that would reproduce. No one thing establishes my opinion on this, certainly not that it came from Globe in the 80s. That's a tossup ;) However, factoring in all things that can be seen, particularly the components such as the button studs, the similarity of the materials, etc., and that Farb ID'd the maker as legit (taking away a strike), and my vote is good.

Somebody find the best quality reproductions made today of these (there are a good many) for like $29 or less, and post them up. I don't believe they are of this quality or compare as favorably as the originals.

My gosh Craig no delay. After all your detailed work, looks to me like you pressed on pretty firmly.
Actually givin lots of info and insight that helps us all to make educated decisions.
and Yea good to see that the maker code at least existed and was legit
Thanks farb for postin that information on an obscure code that now allows us to know the area or origin.
Ya know it Sure is great to be part of a collectors group where lots of people care enough to share all kinds of stuff with Ya. Not just information but parts or techniques to repair items
and freely give that advice and pass on things that further what we all enjoy,
And don’t hold back just to try and make a buck off ya.
Guess that’s why we call them
Pals.......

Pwcosol,
I just went back and read your background / Globe posts. I had not seen them in the interim between my original post and this comparison. That's pretty much responsive to what I asked. If these came in with the blue jkh 42 covers from Norwegian surplus then that would tend to confirm their originality. My inspection and comparison of them matches yours.
Regards,
HB

Couple things to add and new commentary:

I still have some Globe flyers, but they deal with later stuff (like the Finnish equipment that came on the market). I can't swear to it, but don't think Globe marketed the K98 action covers by mentioning in their listings, the markings present. I do recall they referred to them specifically as blue for Luftwaffe and green for Army, and also included a grade/condition. Since both you guys mentioned the K98k winter "Abzug S-code" mfg. (which also principally originated with Globe), I also bought a couple of them the moment they became available:

Hambone said:
I do believe that Globe was also selling the fake S marked winter triggers at that time as well.

lilallie said:
I purchased a few items from Globe back in what I remember was about 1979-80 when I was in high school
And up through about 83. As a matter of possible interest I obtained at that time a winter “Abzug” and a while back posted it here on the forum and it was vetted as original. I got this trigger about the same time frame as the covers were for sale as was mentioned here by pwcosol, so with that information Globe was trafficking in at least some confirmed original items.

I read some of the threads about these variants and seems the jury is still out regarding legitimacy. Over the years here are a few
comments & observations I heard from fellow collectors:

1. Purportedly these came out of Italy. Have heard for decades there are still large depots stuffed with German war material over there.

2. S-code "knock-offs" were produced some years later and small differences are observed.

3. Was at a O.G.C.A. show (Columbus) in the mid-1980s at Bob Landies' tables when Richard Ellis walked up with a shoe-box full of German Mauser parts. Much of this was K98k, etc. Parts were coated with dust, hair, some rust & other crud. Ellis said he picked them up from a gunsmith as a lot, and would Bob be interested? Price was right, so Bob purchased the lot. At the bottom of the box, with a number of rust goobers and crud stuck to it, was a S-Code winter trigger assembly. Both Bob and I agreed this stuff had been sitting for a good number of years (and the winter trigger predating the ones that Globe turned up only a couple of years prior). I recall us both expressing our beliefs that this S-coded winter trigger seemed to vindicate the question of originality of the variant.

I still have one of the two I bought back then (plus a "ofh" phosphate example). Admittedly I am not up to speed on the latest revelations regarding the winter "Abzugs", so am all ears...

Last edited:
Couple things to ad and new commentary:

1. Purportedly these came out of Italy. Have heard for decades there are still large depots stuffed with German war material over there.

2. S-code "knock-offs" were produced some years later and small differences are observed.

3. Was at a O.G.C.A. (Columbus) in the mid-1980s at Bob Landies' tables when Richard Ellis walked up with a shoe-box full of German Mauser parts. Much of this was K98k, etc. Parts were coated with dust, hair, some rust & other crud. Ellis said he picked them up from a gunsmith as a lot, and would Bob be interested? Price was right, so Bob purchased the lot. At the bottom of the box, with a number of rust goobers and crud stuck to it, was a S-Code winter trigger assembly. Both Bob and I agreed this stuff had been sitting for a good number of years (and the winter trigger predating the ones that Globe turned up only a couple of years prior). I recall us both expressing our beliefs that this S-coded winter trigger seemed to vindicate the question of originality of the variant.

I still have one of the two I bought back then (plus a "ofh" phosphate example). Admittedly I am not up to speed on the latest revelations regarding the winter "Abzugs", so am all ears...

Thanks for that. This, and I copied your response to that thread as well:
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?256-Winter-Trigger-and-Manual-Addendum-Insert

Only had three flyers and copied both sides of the most interesting one. One problem with retention of these listings was they were typically only one page and printed on both sides...with one-half of one side comprising the order form. Often I circled the items I wanted, filled out the form, included my payment, folded the flyer back up and put it in a stamped mailing envelope same way it came. Thus those copies were gone. However, items were often on successive lists until they were no longer available...

Attachments

• GMCat10 July87a.jpg
    GMCat10 July87a.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 19
  • GMCat10 July87b.jpg
    GMCat10 July87b.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back