Third Party Press

Need help purchasing my first Mauser

Pixel117

I found a few Mausers online, I’m trying to get one with historical symbolism, but also wanting to have one that is still able to be fired. Obviously I don’t want to put a million rounds through it, but maybe put two or three rounds through it then put it back up for display. Anyways I have a few pictures of one I’m interested in but I know nothing about how to authenticate them other than small bits and pieces, can anyone help?

The numbers look right and everything on it looks good but I don’t know. He says that it was a German rifle but captured by British and sold to Iraq.

Attachments

• 5644AB0A-2105-4E80-BD51-2E3875A5AC23.jpeg
    5644AB0A-2105-4E80-BD51-2E3875A5AC23.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 6A13BD5A-5571-4A1D-A678-81B7D1EA1BDD.jpeg
    6A13BD5A-5571-4A1D-A678-81B7D1EA1BDD.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 62BD1D46-5CE2-4552-A59E-1465A4A36C87.jpeg
    62BD1D46-5CE2-4552-A59E-1465A4A36C87.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 0C857526-52CF-421D-A0DA-E895DA9483AC.jpeg
    0C857526-52CF-421D-A0DA-E895DA9483AC.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 29
Definitely has Iraqi Jeems. I like the rough metal finish on the receiver. Bolt mismatch (not sure about those polished parts?) with other renumbered parts so no issues using it or firing it from a collectors standpoint. I guess it comes down to how much he wants for it?

There are several things I see that I’d find concerning, depending on your goals in making a purchase.I’m new here, but I’ve looked at 1000s of pix here & elsewhere, & notice some “doesn’t seem right” features in each pic. I can’t speak to the accuracy of the “story”, and am NOT an expert on the plethora of marks on the rifle, but as an example of a functioning model 98 w/ lower (subjective) asking $, OK, but not as a “really nice” example for an educated collector.
Some w/ more knowledge may disagree, but that’s what I see.......
(Reminds me of my 1st Model 98, a sporterized 1909 Argentine cavalry carbine)

There are several things I see that I’d find concerning, depending on your goals in making a purchase
...not as a “really nice” example for an educated collector.

Maybe I misread his intent but I didn't get that he was looking at this as a 'really nice' collector. Of course price dependent but as a shooter/useable piece I'd take this over a pimp shined show queen like a MM where everything is fake. Once the price gets above a certain point I'd suggest him looking at a bolt m/m.

Not British, it’s an East German rework

Ah ok. I mean I don’t know as much as others as it would be honestly my first firearm. But I have some other pictures of a guy I’m talking to as well he sent me this morning.

I mean the East German rework one I’ll have to ask but I think it was like $800.

Definitely has Iraqi Jeems. I like the rough metal finish on the receiver. Bolt mismatch (not sure about those polished parts?) with other renumbered parts so no issues using it or firing it from a collectors standpoint. I guess it comes down to how much he wants for it?

I’m not too concerned with the numbers mismatching. It can literally have 20 different serial numbers (just an exaggeration) as long as all the parts are authentic and used during war time, I’m happy.

Maybe I misread his intent but I didn't get that he was looking at this as a 'really nice' collector. Of course price dependent but as a shooter/useable piece I'd take this over a pimp shined show queen like a MM where everything is fake. Once the price gets above a certain point I'd suggest him looking at a bolt m/m.

HM,
no, probably my misread. Pixel wrote that he wanted a rifle w/some historical significance, it may depend on what that means to each of us.
I like shooters, mostly all I have, & that rifle looks safe from what we can see. If OP is likely to buy only this one, to treasure & hold, if it were me, I’d keep looking, depending on price.........

I posted earlier but for some reason it did not come up in this thread

yes it is East German rebuild, remove the stock under the barrel shank take more pictures, I think there is a surprise under the barrel ( I could be wrong) love the proofs

better yet it is marked 1001 eg property mark also do I see "MDI" on the barrel if yes this is a collector east german not a shooter,

I need more pictures of the buttstock area and buttplate

I posted earlier but for some reason it did not come up in this thread

yes it is East German rebuild, remove the stock under the barrel shank take more pictures, I think there is a surprise under the barrel ( I could be wrong) love the proofs

better yet it is marked 1001 eg property mark also do I see "MDI" on the barrel if yes this is a collector east german not a shooter,

I need more pictures of the buttstock area and buttplate

Only issue is I would have to get the guy who wants to sell it to do that and he doesn’t even want to take more pics as he isn’t responding to me at all.

if its matching ( east german matching, ) all serials numbers match $800 easy, since its MDI marked I would go higher,

I dont need to see the under the barrel now, I would like to see buttstock pictures

I collect these, it would go nice in my collection

the rule of thumb is, even by me, East German rebuilds and russian reworks are shooters. This is true, except certain rifles and handguns were issued to different security departments, why they command higher prices.

good luck

Military Rifle Journal
Back