Third Party Press

Schutztruppen pictures

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Now these are some pictures you don't see everyday my contact in Germany hooked me up with these as well. What I like about these two pictures is they are not Postcard pictures but professional pictures. They almost look like family pictures have a few others like this. But what I like about them is they are pictures of a German soldier who is part of the Schutztruppen. I am very fond of anything related to the Schutztruppen and I'm hoping to own a colonial service Gew 98 or finding a Gew 98 that is unit marked to the Schutztruppen. In the future I'm hoping to have a compete Schutztruppen display but will see.

If you notice the second picture has another soldier in it. I have feeling it's a brother or close family member. They have similar facial features. Unfortunately no writing on the backside of these pictures so not much information I can give.

Attachments

• South Africa.jpeg
    South Africa.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 154
  • South Africa #2.jpeg
    South Africa #2.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 154
Nice photos. Likely taken between 1904 and 1906.
Can you please show the back of the photos. This might help to date the photos more exactly.

Munster was the main training camp for DSWA Schutztruppe soldiers.
In 1904 the Herero uprising broke out in German Southwest Africa. In order to increase the Schutztruppe there, several expeditions were put together in Munster between 1904 and 1906. The collection point for horses was also located in Munster. Several 1000 horses were sent from Munster to DSWA. Instructors came from all German cavalry regiments (twenty officers, 950 men) and a few artillery regiments. Since most volunteers for DSWA came from infantry regiments, they first had to learn horse riding etc.

German Colonial items are very interesting.....my only Schutztruppe item, an Erfurt KS98 Bayonet, issued to the Kaiserliche Schutztruppe (German South West Africa), weapon # 9554. I understand that these pressed leather grip bayonets were the most common issued for that theatre.
Kind Regards & Merry Christmas,
Peter.

Attachments

• KS2.jpg
    KS2.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 51
  • KS3.jpg
    KS3.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 44
  • KS1.jpg
    KS1.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 43
Nice photos. Likely taken between 1904 and 1906.
Can you please show the back of the photos. This might help to date the photos more exactly.

Munster was the main training camp for DSWA Schutztruppe soldiers.
In 1904 the Herero uprising broke out in German Southwest Africa. In order to increase the Schutztruppe there, several expeditions were put together in Munster between 1904 and 1906. The collection point for horses was also located in Munster. Several 1000 horses were sent from Munster to DSWA. Instructors came from all German cavalry regiments (twenty officers, 950 men) and a few artillery regiments. Since most volunteers for DSWA came from infantry regiments, they first had to learn horse riding etc.

Thank you for the information Wolfgang. I will double check this evening to see if there is any information on the back of these pictures. And Peter that is a super KS marked bayonet and in really nice condition for it's age. I'm hoping to find one just like that here in the states but it's tough.

Wolfgang I checked the back of these pictures and there are no dates or any type of writing on them. Their completely blank.

You're very welcome thanks for helping me with my translations on some of these pictures I have posted. Really appreciate your efforts

The photographer originally came from the city of Bitsch (Lorraine). When he opened the branch in Munster is not known yet.
The Germans had a training ground in Bitsch (french: Bitche) for 3.500 men.

Some bandoleers:
3rd pattern (top)
2nd pattern (center)
Mexican "copy" of the 3rd pattern from the 1920s

The 2nd pattern bandoleer came with the KS98 bayonet out of South Africa some time ago. Unfortunately the bayonet is not unit marked.
The 3rd pattern bandoleer bears an ink stamp: Sch.Tr.DSWA

Attachments

• IMG_5110.jpg
    IMG_5110.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7060.jpg
    IMG_7060.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 31
That is incredible I can't believe you have three original bandoliers in your collection Wolfgang. That's something I have never seen here in the states with almost 10 years of collecting German Imperial items. Thank you for sharing.

Craig Brown had several bandoleers in his collection among other items. This picture was also from him....if was a little clearer, you could almost make out the marking on the disc.

Attachments

• pic 1 03a.jpg
    pic 1 03a.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 59
  • pic 1 02.jpg
    pic 1 02.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
What a wonderful picture thanks for posting Peter. I remember the rifle because it was sold at auction in 2016 for way under what it was worth. Even with the fees factored in they got a hell of a deal on that rare firearm. And I never knew Craig had those bandoliers in his collection would have loved to have see them. Personally I wish I have gotten to know Craig more. Really do miss his postings of knowledge I really did learn a lot from him.

Thanks Peter, what a great picture!

The German Navy and colonial units had several different bandoleers. Most variations are hardly known.

This one was issued to the DSWA police forces.
It is missing some lids and condition is pretty rough, .... but original.

Attachments

• IMG_6771.jpg
    IMG_6771.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6773.jpg
    IMG_6773.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6775.jpg
    IMG_6775.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 22
I remember this picture, German ebay February 2011, he was thrilled to get it and said it would cost him dearly.. the backside is blank unfortunately. He said it was one of the finest pictures he had seen of a KG, he said the best he had seen was in DWJ, a bunch of entraining DSWA all with rifles, 4 of them very clear. He said that he wanted to scan the picture for others to see, but never said the issue. Perhaps if someone is familiar with this picture they could tell us what issue?

Craig Brown a several bandoleers in his collection among other items. This picture was also from him....if was a little clearer, you could almost make out the marking on the disc.

That is probably one of the best pictures I have seen of the Schutztruppen I'm glad to hear Craig was able to get it.

Not sure if this guy is from the Schutztruppe or from Palestine troops.
But I like his arming.
K98 with two 15 round ammo pouches + an Artillery Luger with three double spare mag pouches.

Attachments

• Schutztruppe_09.jpg
    Schutztruppe_09.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 53
Not sure if this guy is from the Schutztruppe or from Palestine troops.
But I like his arming.
K98 with two 15 round ammo pouches + an Artillery Luger with three double spare mag pouches.

Nice picture!

As far as i know the bayonet 84/98 new pattern never made it to the colonies and was also never issued to schutztruppe units in general... but that could also have been equipment of the photo studio.

With kind regards

Vincent

Now these are some pictures you don't see everyday my contact in Germany hooked me up with these as well. What I like about these two pictures is they are not Postcard pictures but professional pictures. They almost look like family pictures have a few others like this. But what I like about them is they are pictures of a German soldier who is part of the Schutztruppen. I am very fond of anything related to the Schutztruppen and I'm hoping to own a colonial service Gew 98 or finding a Gew 98 that is unit marked to the Schutztruppen. In the future I'm hoping to have a compete Schutztruppen display but will see.

If you notice the second picture has another soldier in it. I have feeling it's a brother or close family member. They have similar facial features. Unfortunately no writing on the backside of these pictures so not much information I can give.

I've always been interested in the odd uniform of the soldier on the right. For whatever reason, I was under the impression it was some sort of training uniform when in fact he's a Garde Kurassier. That would probably explain the tall black riding boots.

d899a6235425ccb1d3af25fe18e089e1--german-army-prussia.jpg

I've always been interested in the odd uniform of the soldier on the right. For whatever reason, I was under the impression it was some sort of training uniform when in fact he's a Garde Kurassier. That would probably explain the tall black riding boots.

View attachment 238844

That's a great catch. Looks like an NCO with the wider collar stripes?

Military Rifle Journal
Back