Third Party Press

SS Fieldpost letter - MIA in the BoB

Peter U

Staff member
Yesterday, December 29, it was 75 years ago that Robert Jänicke wrote his last letter, it was addressed to his aunt Mili and it arrived a few days later with good news but then came the silence, Robert Jänicke is still one of the many MIA soldiers of WW2.

Robert J (°1926) was a Sturmmann in the ninth company of SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 25 of the 12th SS Panzer Division “Hitlerjugend”.
At the time that he wrote this letter he was in the forest around the tiny hamlet of Sadzot, his battalion had just taken part in the attempt of the II SS Panzer Korps to break through the allied front at Erezée, now known as the “Sad Sack Affair”, this battle is well covered in the book “Bloody clash at Sadzot” by Wiliam B, Breuer.
Initially the SS Grenadiers assault was successful, during the night attack of December 27/28 1944 they had managed to find a gap in the front line held by the 289th Infantry Rgt of the 75th US ID, the three battalions of SS Pz Gr Rgt 25 supported by three 75mm Pak guns which were manually pulled through the steep forested hills, slipped through the gap and surprised the mortar men of B company of the 87th Mortar Battalion which had occupied the houses of the hamlet Sadzot near the main road from Manhay to Hotton.
A dangerous gap in the allied front line was being formed, to safe the day, the men of 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion, supported by six tank destroyers were sent forward; fierce fighting now commenced and the paratroopers managed to push out the SS Grenadiers from the little village.
This is a little quote from the book “Bloody clash at Sadzot” for December 29 1944, the day Robert J wrote his letter:
“All during the day on December 29 the woods and snow covered hills adjacent to Sadzot echoed and re-echoed with harsh sounds of bitter firefights between adverseries of the highest caliber and courage – the 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion and equally elite SS Panzer grenadiers.”
The next days the paratroopers make further attacks and forced the SS Pz Gr Rgt 25 to retreat, it is in this period that Robert Jänicke gets MIA.

He is both listed with the German Red Cross and the German war graves archive as being MIA.
In March 1994 his family placed an add in the Waffen SS veteran magazine “Der Freiwillige” to ask for information about what happened to Robert; someone from his division had told them that he might have seen him in Vienna in April 1945, which most likely was a false sighting.

Attachments

• DSC01505 (2).JPG
    DSC01505 (2).JPG
    193 KB · Views: 62
  • dc4987f0-520a-42d0-946a-8454f45b3727.jpg
    dc4987f0-520a-42d0-946a-8454f45b3727.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC01506.jpg
    DSC01506.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01508.jpg
    DSC01508.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Liebe Tante Mili!

Heute nach langer Zeit, nachdem ich Euch auf einen alten Stück Papier ein Lebenszeichen von mir sandte, komme ich dazu Euch wieder zu schreiben. Euch geht es doch wohl allen recht gut, was ich bestens von mir berichten kann. Wie habt denn Ihr das Weihnachtsfest verlebt, doch hoffentlich recht gut. Wenn dieser Feldzug zu Ende ist, denke ich doch, daß es dann Urlaub gibt un dann kann ich genug Bohnenkaffee mitbrengen den der Amerikaner hier Sackweise liegen lästt so daß die deutschen Landser nur noch Bohnenkaffee drinken. Wir sind hier jetzt wieder in einem Land, in dem man sich wieder auf seine alten französischen Kenntnisse berufen muß, Nun auf ein glückliches und Friedenbringendes neues Jahr. Seid alle recht herzlich gegrüßst.
Von Robert.

Translation of the letter.

Deat aunt Mili,

Today after a longtime I have found an old piece of paper to write a letter and sent a sign of life,
You are all well I suppose, I’am well to.
How did you all spend Christmas evening, hopefully good.
When this campaign has come to an end, I presume I’ll get leave and then I’ll bring enough real bean coffee that the Americans left behind here so that the German infantry soldier only drinks a nice cup of bean coffee.
Once again we are in a country where I can use my old knowledge of the French language.
And to close all a happy and peaceful new year.
Best wishes from Robert.

Attachments

• DSC01503.jpg
    DSC01503.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01504.jpg
    DSC01504.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 26

Military Rifle Journal
Back