Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: qve45 K43 pics!

Default qve45 K43 pics!

I had purchased an all-matching qve45 K43 from a friend a couple of months ago, along with a ZF4 sniper rig, and finally had a chance to put them together. I had put on a shooter's kit (with some trouble getting the original piston off), and took it to the range. It really is so fun to shoot!! Anyway, enjoy the pics!

I do have one question......on the stock wrist, there is a squarish indentation that I can't quite make out. I have circled it in the last picture. Does anyone know what that is/represents?

Thanks, Ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ross_badger; 01-04-2020 at 08:25 AM.

The stock has been refinished the side proofs enhanced. the wrist poof looks original as this one typically gets missed from bubba's sanding.

the small impression could be something or nothing. the photos aren't clear enough. maybe wipe a little chalk or power in there and wipe it just to temporarily highlite it.

Here are some additional pics of the stock with some talc powder in the markings. The square looks like a very deep "214" stamp. I also forgot to add the stock/gun SN stampings, so I have included them as well. Thanks for the comments! Why do you think that the stock has been refinished?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_badger View Post
    Here are some additional pics of the stock with some talc powder in the markings. The square looks like a very deep "214" stamp. I also forgot to add the stock/gun SN stampings, so I have included them as well. Thanks for the comments! Why do you think that the stock has been refinished?
    The stock has been sanded and some type of oil/shellac was applied I.E. refinished. After one collects and studies these things it's easy to spot.
    Anyhow looks to be a nice shooter.
    HDH.

I was going to mention the deep compressed E/214 on the wrist. This is correct. Just search the g/k threads here for qve45 there are plenty posted for comparison.

BLM stained their stock till pretty much the end.. Some late k blocks are unstained but these are walther stocks anyways.. It gets quite confusing at the end.

yours is an L block which is actually the end of 44 into 45 when the alpha suffix roll over started again. Cursive L on the metal and block L on the stock bottom. Another anomaly of BLM who used only cursive letter till this point and the block L is used only on this one letter block.

Overall not a bad example . I would also say the locking lever on the walther mount is a replacement/reproduction. Center bend levers were only used super early and this center bend design is used on all the repro mounts so they are common and used as missing replacements. This should have a straight lever. Mount looks real as does the rest.

You did better than most..

Beavis Moderator Intern mdarnell19's Avatar

I don't think the side acceptance stamps are original. They look totally fake to me. Maybe it's the pictures but I think I can see the original stamps very faintly next to them. Stock has been seriously messed with in my opinion which hurts the value greatly (at least to most serious collectors).

Thanks for the info and the comments. Very helpful!

Regarding the early type lever and stud for the ZF4 mount on my K43, I took them from the early type mount in the attached pictures. Is this a correct lever and stud for this pretty rough early mount? The ZF4 mount I have on my K43 originally had a reproduction lever and mount, and I was looking for a better / original, so I took the one from these attached pictures from the rough looking mount and put it on mine.

Regarding the stock, is there any non-destructive way to get the oil or shellac off the top and not hurt the original wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_badger View Post
    Regarding the stock, is there any non-destructive way to get the oil or shellac off the top and not hurt the original wood?
    Ive not done one of my 43s this way but I have done this on some varnished/clearcoated 98k stocks: You could use mineral spirits and just wipe on and wipe off. No, it wont hurt the wood but Id really be tempted to just leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnell19 View Post
    I don't think the side acceptance stamps are original. They look totally fake to me. Maybe it's the pictures but I think I can see the original stamps very faintly next to them. Stock has been seriously messed with in my opinion which hurts the value greatly (at least to most serious collectors).
    I agree, you can clearly see the original eagle wings below the newly stamped ones.

guess the title needs to be changed, it does not appear to be all original!!! in fact its not even a collectable

shame

I would go back to your friend, seems he took advantage of you