Third Party Press

Hansen Cartridge Co 8mm ammo, any good?

Muncher 1953

At my collector's club mtg last night I picked up a box (silver colored) of Hansen Cartridge Co 8mm ammo made in Yugoslavia. No dates on box or plastic insert, box states "fully reloadable, boxer primed, non-corrosive". Ammo is clearly new/unfired but old stock. Primers sealed w/red, slight ring mark around primer pocket, not quite as obvious as on Berdan primed military ammo. Head stamp is 'IK" .

Reading mostly old stuff on some other forums, many seem to think that this ammo IS corrosive, but some of what I saw posted seemed a bit dubious. What REALLY got my attn was that ONE cartridge had some corrosion at the base, having seen similar on known 1930's reloads my grandfather made, I cleaned it off & found a crack from about 1/2" above the extractor groove through the rim to the primer pocket!

I always check unknown ammo pretty closely before loading it into any firearm, as I like where my face & fingers are located now just fine.

I'll try & post a pic later, just fishing for any more info before I try shooting any of the OTHER 19 rounds.....

Thanks in advance,

I shot and reloaded Hansen in the early 90's. It was pretty widely available in SOCAL back in the active duty days. The stuff I had was not corrosive, shot well, and I don't recall any issues reloading the cases. If I dig deep enough I probably still have some brass or reloads. Any factory ammo would have been shot long ago. FWIW.

If one of the 20 is corroded, personally, I would throw the rest away. Internal corrosion you cannot see.

KJ

Military Rifle Journal
Back