Third Party Press

small belt buckle collection

type96

Got most of this stuff from a son who didn't care about his dad's bring backs.

Attachments

• IMG_6963.jpg
    IMG_6963.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6964.jpg
    IMG_6964.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6965.jpg
    IMG_6965.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6966.jpg
    IMG_6966.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6967.jpg
    IMG_6967.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6968.jpg
    IMG_6968.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 37
Nice SS buckles. I count 3 SS, one Luftwaffe and that the extent of my limited knowledge. I only have one SS, an HJ. I like the display too. A true shame that a son has no desire to maintain a family heirloom from his father.

KJ

If you'd like to see the rest of this hoard I showed the whole collection over on gunboards in the militaria section on 1-27-2014 under my name type96. I was also surprised anyone would let this go. Must have needed money.

Two SA, two SS, one HJ and one Luft. You should get the verdigris (green stuff) off of that SS buckle, it will do damage if left alone. I kind of remember reading that it can get under the chrome or silver plate and eat the metal from the inside out. Nice wound badges as well. The gold one looks like it has retained a lot of the gold finish. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
thanks grimlin 13, I will clean the green. we need to maintain these artifacts to pass on to others.

I see you are in Florida. Very humid and lots of salt in the air. You should inspect all of your collectibles and keep a close eye out for verdigris. After removing any you find, it would be a good idea to apply some renaissance wax. It will help keep that salt air off. Also placing some sort of desiccant inside the display case and where ever else you keep collectibles will help.

thats usually a reaction between leather and Brass or possibly even nickle silver as that's what the buckle is plated with. Holsters and slings tend to grow that when brass and leather meet.

Haven't had any trouble with rust as we keep the house humid free. But I Have to keep after the holsters to keep the green off.

Verdigris can be a problem on daggers (SA,SS, etc.) where the blades rest on the internal runners.When the runners are made of copper alloys it can develop. Verdigris can develop on copper, brass, or bronze when exposed to air or seawater over time. It is usually a basic copper carbonate, but near the sea it will be a basic copper chloride. I believe the copper chloride version is the more corrosive but both are bad. Bronze disease occurs when chlorides come in contact with copper,brass, or bronze. It is irreversible and nearly inexorable. If not treated it can cause the complete destruction of affected artifact and it can spread to other artifacts. The acid content in leather where in contact with copper alloys can cause it, as will human sweat. Always wipe those finger prints off or wear gloves. Clean your artifacts and get some wax on them to seal out any future contact with water, oxygen or chlorides.

Military Rifle Journal
Back