Third Party Press

Strange bnz mauser no markings

Picked up a strange BNZ K98. No Markings, no original serial number, except what looks like another countries serial. No Waffenamts, the receiver ring has no indications of grinding or removed markings. Mismatched rifle Czech bolt. Can anybody help me figure this thing out?

I would guess SN was on barrel and this one was rebarrelled post war with a barrel either new or off another rifle where the sn was on the receiver.

I would guess SN was on barrel and this one was rebarrelled post war with a barrel either new or off another rifle where the sn was on the receiver.

That would be my guess too....be interesting to see if anyone knows what country this might have been used by....

Won’t pretend I know postwar stuff but isn’t the serial on the RR indicative of a Yugo rework?

Hmmm. It does have a “normal” WaA on the barrel and I know that “Si” is a known supplier code. (See picture, I cropped and rotated it and circled the WaA stamp)

You’re right that there’s no grinding visible on the receiver or barrel like having a serial removed, and I agree it’s probably a Yugo serial number. Maybe we have a new class of SS rifles: no approval, no firing proof, no serial!! I would LOVE to know if there are ANY other markings on any surface of the receiver.
c11de31a788d33b510d2fbc3782ed3c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tossing wrenches but does it seems to be a 1941 Sileasiastahl barrel? I thought I saw 41 in there?

It’s scrubbed just like any other yugo rework, they didn’t all get the top codes removed.

This is a Gusen made bnz43 receiver, so it was an SS contract at some point - but, as stated it's heavily scrubbed during Yugo reworking. Nothing rare or collectible about it.

Yeah from what is posted above yours sounds like a Yugoslavian reworking so the serial numbers that WERE on it would have been removed as part of their process. Great photos by the way!

It might be just me but it looks like a very light acceptance marking right above the Z?? the only thing I can't really make out is the left wing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200104-161717_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200104-161717_Gallery.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Look for a circle V7 mark on the receiver.
Doesn’t look like the receiver has been scrubbed of any original markings.

It might be just me but it looks like a very light acceptance marking right above the Z?? the only thing I can't really make out is the left wing.

I see what you’re looking at there but it would be really really unusual to have a final acceptance that far off the centerline, even for Steyr. I think it’s handling marks, dings and dents, that happen to look like the eagle acceptance.

Look for a circle V7 mark on the receiver.
Doesn’t look like the receiver has been scrubbed of any original markings.

I too would be interested in knowing if it has any of the “circled V7” markings. They can be partial or light, you might have to look really closely. They can be almost anywhere on any surface of the receiver.

Military Rifle Journal
Back