Third Party Press

G41 ac43 sniper...

tbied2

.. well;;... since we had one neat scoped g41 rifles today; this is one of my favorites. this exact rifle is in the peter senich "german sniper" book & in weavers' "hitler garand" book. in matching and good condition. i have had this rifle for over ten years after getting it from paul viens. there are only two know in this configuration. it has been shown to several known collectors and is a genuine german prototype rifle. neat ..... terrill ... i also like the reverse taper eye cup ......

threehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/142843489@N06/

twohttps://www.flickr.com/photos/142843489@N06/

one https://www.flickr.com/photos/142843489@N06/

Wow, that is really neat. Since I would imagine they wouldn’t have procured new forging for the receiver, is it all machined or is the mount attached to the receiver somehow?

Would also be keen to know. Did they manufacture the receiver newly (so extended from original receiver casting), or did they use the G.41 receiver and mill in the scope rail or welded on the scope rail? Please compare it with another G.41(W) of yours - Thanks!

g41

... well;.. i will bring that along. i will tell ya' what the problem is. today, i have alot of g41 rifles.. and there are only two or three more that i would like to have. i do not have a room at home to display any of my rifles and all sit in gun safes for the majority of the time. so;;;.. usually at shows i bring some along to display and it helps me sell parts and maybe find something i would like to have. it is just a hobby, but it does no good to have some good rifles that no on ever sees! ...... and;;.. again this year i should be somewhere in the middle of row "C" at the SOS.. t ..

Last edited:
Terrill, I had asked above .. is the rail milled to the receiver, or was it welded or soldered on?

I think all is 100% legit, I just don't understand the mount rail on the rifle. Much like the G.43 bcd rifle mounts. I always thought (and never confirmed) that the G.43 bcd rails were not notched to prevent a scope system from being installed because they were not up to precision standards. Walther actually went so far as to mill those “bad” rifle’s rails off.

Here’s what I am thinking; that it’s maybe something like the G/K.43 double receiver guide rail: When the rifle’s receivers are made, they all have double bolt carrier rails and scope mount rails manufactured as a whole with the receivers. After the receivers are manufactured, they milled off the one bolt carrier rail. Later leaving both rails on to save time. Maybe they left the scope mount rails on, didn’t mill them off to save time and simply didn’t notch them so a mount would not be installed?

Wonder if that’s a close guess or totally way off?

I thought bcd rails were not notched because they were all of the earliest design and the notch was an afterthought. The AC43s were not notched. Do the no letter AC44s start with the notch immediately?
I did see one bcd with the notch but it was a vopo and guessed it was modified post war.

I thought bcd rails were not notched because they were all of the earliest design and the notch was an afterthought. The AC43s were not notched. Do the no letter AC44s start with the notch immediately?
I did see one bcd with the notch but it was a vopo and guessed it was modified post war.

I’m just not sure how a mount would be secure on a non-notched rail. I’ve “heard” both; early mounts could be secured with a different mechanism and they were not notched because the rifles weren’t up to accurate standards. so I do not know either way.

I think a better way to look at this is the development and production of G/K43 snipers. G43 snipers start being produced around May of 1944. This is despite the fact that the rail system with a notch was being manufactured on rifles for at least 5 months. (Yes AC44 no letter block rifles have a notch on the rail). So likely that means that the mount and scope were still being developed. So, I find it hard to believe that any ZF4 scope and mounts were issued on a G41 rifle.

Terrell, can you post detailed pictures of the mount?

1944 ac (4).jpg1944 ac (10).jpg

Mr. Weavers book mentions and shows the earliest mount design that was not using the catch with the notch but also none are known. There is a page from the manual showing it on page 255.

There is another mention of the notch being added in 1944 to improve the design so I gather there was intent to use a mount with smooth rails but probably not issued or only trials?

The mount shown with the G41 here looks similar to the slanted strut mount without the catch but more a hybrid with vertical struts?

As for the bcd rails I thought they started hoarding parts before they ever produced anything. Would they have had the ability to modify and add the notch since it was just assembly done there? That would take some machining they may not have been capable of and just used as is having them on hand perhaps?

Awesome G41 by the way!

Yes, Gustloff was hording parts and assembling the G.43’s. I don’t think they were ever going to notch the receivers they received....but, I don’t know that they weren’t.

g41 sniper ..

.... ;; i have this photo i found..... several years ago i was given a bunch of photographs of rifles being examined at the aberdeen proving grounds after the war. notice the one pic at the top left,.. it appears to be a g41 with the zf4 rail on the right side. i wil try to find these & get a better image ..... terrill .

209 213

Military Rifle Journal
Back