Third Party Press

1943 P38 Holster

Missourigunguy

Just curious what a decent P38 holster should run. Looking for one for my 43. Ive been looking at the hardshells. Preferably brown leather. I know there are rare makers out there that can run high but i'm just looking at a run of the mill. Also, is a eue a rare maker?

I don’t know about eue, but a decent 43 hardshell should run $2-300 depending on condition.

CanadianAR's price range is about right for a good condition. Great to excellent may cost a bit more depending on who you get it from. Otto Reichel, Lengefeld (eue) is not listed as a rare maker on the p38forum. Finding a (light) brown one may be a bit of a challenge. I think most were black.

Finding a really nice brown hard shell or soft shell p38 holster is one of the harder tasks a German handgun collector will encounter. Even black hardshell p38 holsters are hard in high condition are tough. An old adage, if you’re willing to pay for it nice Luger holsters can always be had, hardshell p38s the same just isn’t true not many survived in nice shape. It all depends on condition but a nice brown holster will cost you probably over 500. I agree with above a nice black holster will be 250-300 on average with cherry holsters going for more.

Many years ago a very wise and experienced P.38 researcher/collector advised me to "buy every decent condition 1943 dated soft shell and every 1944 dated hard shell that you come across." The only problem is finding them .....

The last really nice brown hard shell I saw for sale went for $800. It was the Polish maker, don’t remember the name. Just an extra level of rarity.

Many years ago a very wise and experienced P.38 researcher/collector advised me to "buy every decent condition 1943 dated soft shell and every 1944 dated hard shell that you come across." The only problem is finding them .....

That’s good advice, if you’re ever at a gun show and see one on the table. A quick and easy way to tell it’s a 43’ dated soft shell is the closure strap is reversed. Early soft shells have an up strap rather than down. You could even extend it out to buying any really nice German luger or p38 holster.

That’s good advice, if you’re ever at a gun show and see one on the table. A quick and easy way to tell it’s a 43’ dated soft shell is the closure strap is reversed. Early soft shells have an up strap rather than down. You could even extend it out to buying any really nice German luger or p38 holster.

Thanks for all the info guys! I'll be attending a gun show in my area this weekend. Although I haven't seen to many P38 or luger holsters at them it doesn't mean they're not there. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled. I tend to watch ebay extensively for them and like any other person, i'm always looking for a deal. Its not something I have to have but with most of my collection I tend to collect the dated bayonet that goes with my rifles and just would like the same dated holster for my P38. I know if buy one with a different date i'll just have to look another P38 to match :)

Military Rifle Journal
Back