Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this rifle look sanded/stained?

Default Does this rifle look sanded/stained?

Haven't been able to hit the books tonight but does this Byf 42 in walnut look sanded or stained? It appears to be in the normal color range from what is available on the picture sticky. But, I have a terrible eye for lumber. Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse."

Your photos are a bit far away from areas normally viewed, but based on what you’ve provided, sharp edges appear sharp, doesn’t look sanded to me. As far as refinished, no clue.

KJ
    "Was wären Ihre Männer lieber, müde oder tot?" - Rommel

Quote Originally Posted by Kammerjaeger View Post
    Your photos are a bit far away from areas normally viewed, but based on what you’ve provided, sharp edges appear sharp, doesn’t look sanded to me. As far as refinished, no clue.

KJ
    Thanks. The photos are from an online firearms retailer so I sadly cannot get any better details.
    "Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse."

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

As stated better pictures would say for sure (maybe the seller would send them to you) but it looks good to me also. Edges of the holes are pretty sharp. Top edge and bolt cutout are pretty even and crisp too. From the stamp it appears it may have had shellac applied and removed? It's hard to get it out of the little lines.

Looking at it more based on the metal finish wear it might just be honest carry wear.
    Last edited by heavy_mech; 01-09-2020 at 11:35 AM. Reason: overall appearance thoughts
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by GulagACapella View Post
    Thanks. The photos are from an online firearms retailer so I sadly cannot get any better details.
    If the guy wants your money he better be willing to give you more photos. There’s no good reason not to.
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana View Post
    If the guy wants your money he better be willing to give you more photos. There’s no good reason not to.

Agreed.

KJ
    "Was wären Ihre Männer lieber, müde oder tot?" - Rommel

Quote Originally Posted by nirvana View Post
    It's a relatively large online retailer that will be able to sell it with or without me. I did request pictures and am (not holding my breath) awaiting a reply.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GulagACapella View Post
    It's a relatively large online retailer
    Oof. Often that equals expensive. Not looking to have you post the 'who' but if it's cool do you mind sharing what they're asking?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Oof. Often that equals expensive. Not looking to have you post the 'who' but if it's cool do you mind sharing what they're asking?
    They (a Charlotte, NC based retailer) are asking $2k for it. That seems to be what others are asking for the same code + or - 100 bucks.

My first impression was "cleaned" as the WaA 135 in the wood is darker than the surrounding stock. I would expect the color tone of both to be the same, but still a pleasant stock in appearance. Attached are some WaA stamps from three byf 43 in walnut for comparison... The take down disc also appears very shiny, like having been cleaned hard.... just more evidence someone likely got after it..... Of course, the pics are scant of details/ close-ups
    Attached Images Attached Images

email => K98@bobinohio.com