Third Party Press

Picked up this Spandau Gew 98m.

Picked up a new Spandau 1914 Gew98m. Sitting in a mauser commercial stock and has been updated by S/42. I will attach photos but it has a turkish bolt that’s all jacked up (grinded down cocking piece and safety lever, as well as an extra long firing pin spring that is almost too long to reassemble) I ordered surplus parts for it, such as a new correct length bayonet lug, rear barrel band and bolt components as well as capture screws. I will attach photos for ya’ll to tell me more info if you can. I also picked it up for $350 so please tell me if I got a decent enough deal for restoration.

Sincerely,

Alexander

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/PyrLagCUZNWnVZuo9

Last edited:
98 Modified rifles have never been hot, with a few exceptions, but they are unique and interesting as they provide a window into the Weimar and early 3rd Reich German military, as Germany strove to retain at least a shadow of its former power and equipment.

As Dave stated, these are the least desirable of the Modell98 variations, - while often more "historic" than Imperial rifles or most 98k, they simply have less interest than the wartime issues (most collectors gleefully fly over the Republican era though it is the most interesting and dynamic period of modern German history - military included - it is absolutely amazing what Seeckt and Heye achieved with all the obstacles). In original-matching (depot original) they are very elusive and often rare, but they still command far less than most straight Imperials or almost all decent 98k (even craptastic rc's can surpass them in value)

Your rifle (barreled-receiver) looks like an early rearmament rework. The barrel is JPS made, very early work, though take huge hits due to the largely mismatched state, - what hurts Imperial and 98k is doubly so for this variation. Really not worth much unfortunately, probably hard to sell, not something most would restore. The only saving grace is the less common 1914 origins of the receiver. 1914's are elusive, Spandau probably the most common though, WMO and Spandau are around same production and far more common than the other 1914's.

I doubt a resto would be very profitable, but the proper parts would be cheaper than 98k to acquire. I really like rifles like this, but most don't, especially if they have a lot of m/m parts, - mismatched stocks and bolts are usually killers for any rifle, someone might grab it due to the date, but few would pay a premium for that alone.

Thank ya’ll for the reply’s. I’m actually going to use this for my reenactments so i’ll be treated quite nicely. I appreciate all the info you’ve provided!

Military Rifle Journal
Back