Third Party Press

Mauser dsm with bayo lug

Namboob

C9424071-D218-4ED9-86E0-FF1320F69CBB.jpg7309B7B5-4711-498E-BCB5-A5BE510DE096.jpg3BD33FF2-7FD2-458A-85E7-3F2E7608DC35.jpg928DD3D5-FC1F-465C-8438-C05F26E9B10B.jpg70BE74CB-F0A6-4496-A6ED-F47A7198BF84.jpgSo Im looking for more info on this rifle that I will probably sell. I found out that the slings are hard to find and the front band with the bayo lug is uncommon. Also read some references that the ones with the bayo lug are sometimes faked. I posted a few pics and will get more when I take the rifle a part when my shed gets above freezing. It is matching.

Interesting . . . .I had the same “bubba’d” bayonet lug, brazed to the barrel!

The stock was cut at the end, so as to allow it’s removal, with the stock tip wedged inside the bayo. lug!

Some tried to tell me it was a KKW . . . .though the receiver was plainly marked as a DSM!

Sold the rifle and never looked back!

So is there a legit variation of this rifle with the bayo lug?

Not that I am aware of. Is there something going on with the serial number on the receiver? They transitioned from the DSM to the KKW to make the training rifle more like the military rifle.

039C06D1-6F33-4E6C-B559-E9CBBA8012F3.jpg8E2CD4E8-C17C-4188-B1F0-C442895F4D7A.jpg793367CF-B47E-44BE-AA26-FE2F3C5CDEA2.jpgE2ACBD69-DB78-4BBF-90D1-E4A62AFDD58D.jpgSo got it out of the stock, it matches but it is pretty obvious the “work” done to force on the bayo lug. Is this still a desireable rifle? Does the sling add much?

I would try to find the missing front band. I don’t know if any wood was removed, hopefully not and the rifle could be put back into the original configuration, as the stock matches the metal. Certainly a candidate for putting back into as made. The bands were not numbered so that is a plus. The DSM had an H buckle sling. Yours appears to be a K98k sling.

So is there a legit variation of this rifle with the bayo lug?
Jon Speed's book (Mauser Smallbores...) does show an example of a Mauser dsm with lug... serial 33044, page 60. It also has a recoil bolt through the stock. Speed does qualify his documentation with uncertainty of it's originality.... though "all parts and workmanship are of excellent quality".

How much would this incorrect barrel band devalue this rifle? I dont think finding a correct band would help, there was alteration to the stock that would be visible.

This is a tough one. If you do a nice job pinning on the bayonet bar and band, you still have one heck of a nice shooter .22 rifle. If you truly want to restore it you could cut it under the rear band, replace the wood, install the proper front band & stacking rod. I believe that would bring the value much closer to what an unmessed with DSM would bring, but this would cost you work and/or money and you'd have to be willing to do it. The way it is I probably wouldn't pay more than between $300 to $400 for it if I was looking for one, but that has absolutely no bearing on what someone else might pay and in the end it's worth whatever you can get for it.

Looks like the wood is too "fresh" under the bayo lug to be original..

Regarding replacing it with a correct front band... looks like yours was whittled away to fit the bayo lug.. which now will cause an original DSM front band not to fit--will be loose... I'd just leave it as is, still makes a good shooter.

Nice example of an earlier DSM in spite of the damage. If it were mine I would do the restoration — the stock repair will require some effort but the missing parts can be found. This wouldn’t necessarily make good financial sense. An unhurried sale is a better option there. Leaving it as is and enjoying a good shooter would be a great option.

Military Rifle Journal
Back