Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Deals still exist

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    174

    Default Deals still exist

    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853070792

    I found this last night before it was bought, after looking back over our most recent thread on bnz45's. I don't know Steyr as well as other manufacturers and I was looking up details on it and making dinner when it sold.
    The pictures are kind of poor and incomplete, so buying is always a risk. But it could have been a nice deal even if only a bolt m/m. Stock also doesn't look doinked.

    I won't lose sleep because Steyr isn't my forte but this is just to give some hope to the bnz lovers. Also I hope maybe this will help public perception of market values.

    Edit: this rifle is also only 47 rifles away from morticianman's new bnz45, same letter block and everything.

  2. #2
    Moderator² Pisgah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Steyr, Österreich
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    To the extent shown, it looks good. The buyer is a dealer and will likely be relisting the bnz at a new price.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

  3. #3
    Senior Member morticianman1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mb44kar View Post
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853070792

    I found this last night before it was bought, after looking back over our most recent thread on bnz45's. I don't know Steyr as well as other manufacturers and I was looking up details on it and making dinner when it sold.
    The pictures are kind of poor and incomplete, so buying is always a risk. But it could have been a nice deal even if only a bolt m/m. Stock also doesn't look doinked.

    I won't lose sleep because Steyr isn't my forte but this is just to give some hope to the bnz lovers. Also I hope maybe this will help public perception of market values.

    Edit: this rifle is also only 47 rifles away from morticianman's new bnz45, same letter block and everything.
    I noticed that before I even read your full post, that is was only a few numbers away. Looks like it was a good snag for the price, stock is interesting without the traditional Steyr shallow bolt cut. Only other thing I noticed was the m/m handgaurd. Another deal will come along and you'll score big, just got to be persistent.

    Edit: I'd venture to say it's probably a matching bolt, or at least it's a late war steyr judging by the shroud. At least it looks rough to me on my phone screen

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by morticianman1990; 01-14-2020 at 02:07 PM.

  4. #4
    Community Organizer Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    76,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    To the extent shown, it looks good. The buyer is a dealer and will likely be relisting the bnz at a new price.
    It causes me some irritation to see these jobbers and dealers doing this, then invariably exploiting the free information we provide here to carnival bark and mark stuff way up to "reward" our free exchange of information with each other by profiteering. I think if it has a matching bolt that was a great deal.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

  5. #5
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    4,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    It causes me some irritation to see these jobbers and dealers doing this, then invariably exploiting the free information we provide here to carnival bark and mark stuff way up to "reward" our free exchange of information with each other by profiteering. I think if it has a matching bolt that was a great deal.
    I hear you Ham. It irks me too but what can you do other than call them out when found?

    And yeah we 'know' the buyer. Clinton, MS the town where rifles go to get MINT, CORRECT, UNALTERED and MUESUM QUALITY. Guaranteed this turns back up with a new look, a big bullshitty story and a much higher price tag.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

  6. #6
    Moderator² Pisgah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Steyr, Österreich
    Posts
    2,143

    Default

    While that is a laminated handguard on a scrub walnut stock, chances are that is the original handguard to the rifle and not a replacement. That seller could have advertised that rifle much better. I haven't used the search terms "K98" or "Mauser" in a while because my time is usually too limited to sort through 2,000 items. If it is a bolt mismatch it is a decent deal for the money, just based on parts value (late Steyr hood, Kriegs Steyr stock, late magazine assembly, etc.). If it has a matching bolt then it will probably be flipped for $2,000 or more. Note that the seller's photos include a counter and a register. This seller probably bought this rifle for $200-300 and is perfectly happy to take his profit and move on. No reason to feel bad for him. Like I said, it will likely show back up on Southern-Surplus' list of items offered on GB in the near future with better and more complete photos. We may see the bolt yet.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    174

    Default

    I was thinking the HG was original too but couldn't verify.

    Also was afraid the buyer was a dealer and really wish I had jumped on it now - even if only to sell it a few months later on our trader for the same price (after appreciating it myself). That's one way to save some of these I guess but the ethics are questionable and I don't want to play games with the ATF.

    I will try to get pictures of this auction later tonight after work so it is properly documented and won't disappear - as per Hambone's usual good advice

  8. #8
    Senior Member morticianman1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    While that is a laminated handguard on a scrub walnut stock, chances are that is the original handguard to the rifle and not a replacement. That seller could have advertised that rifle much better. I haven't used the search terms "K98" or "Mauser" in a while because my time is usually too limited to sort through 2,000 items. If it is a bolt mismatch it is a decent deal for the money, just based on parts value (late Steyr hood, Kriegs Steyr stock, late magazine assembly, etc.). If it has a matching bolt then it will probably be flipped for $2,000 or more. Note that the seller's photos include a counter and a register. This seller probably bought this rifle for $200-300 and is perfectly happy to take his profit and move on. No reason to feel bad for him. Like I said, it will likely show back up on Southern-Surplus' list of items offered on GB in the near future with better and more complete photos. We may see the bolt yet.
    Very well could the original, just pointed it out since it wasn't all too noticeable besides n one or two pictures. I'm sure we'll see it back up for sale in the upcoming weeks

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Community Organizer Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    76,035

    Default

    My problem is parasites and humpers who use our site to glom free information to use against us. The purpose of the site is for us to advance our hobby interests for knowledge and enjoyment, not benefit some shitehead who sits around trolling auctions to carnival bark and resell. There probably is a way to take out the trash, but it's labor intensive and I'm busy.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

  10. #10
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    4,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mb44kar View Post
    ...Also was afraid the buyer was a dealer and really wish I had jumped on it now. ...That's one way to save some of these I guess but the ethics are questionable and I don't want to play games with the ATF.
    I did just that recently on t block. I wanted it alright even though it had a few warts because it had quite a few unusual features. When I saw my competition was one of the Clinton, MS gang I actually went 3 bids higher than I'd planned just to stop it from washing back up all CORRECT.

    No ethical or ATF issues with doing exactly what you described. Actually sounds quite ethical. The C&R is specifically for collectors, not as a money maker. They have a license for that too but there are plenty that are abusing the shit out of their C&R privilege.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •