Third Party Press

War booty picture #3

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Purchased some more cool pictures from my contact in Germany and what a wonderful lot of pictures that came in this afternoon.

One of them shows a German solder armed with a Chassepot rifle! But my all time favorite is the soldier armed with the 1871 Jaeger rifle have not found an original photograph showing that! What is neat about most of these pictures is they are family type photographs and not postcards. I did scan the backside of these specific pictures to help with the dates or more info on them. Have to say I have bought alot of cool pictures this year but these are some the best ones I have bought.

Attachments

• Chassepot soldier.jpeg
    Chassepot soldier.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 197
  • Back of Chassepot soldier.jpeg
    Back of Chassepot soldier.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 134
  • Kar98a soldier.jpeg
    Kar98a soldier.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 184
  • Back of Kar98a soldier.jpeg
    Back of Kar98a soldier.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Soldier with 1871 Jager.jpeg
    Soldier with 1871 Jager.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Back of 1871 Jager picture.jpeg
    Back of 1871 Jager picture.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Gew 98 soldier.jpeg
    Gew 98 soldier.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Squad armed with Gew91 carbines.jpeg
    Squad armed with Gew91 carbines.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Field gun crew.jpeg
    Field gun crew.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Soldiers with Kar98a carbines.jpeg
    Soldiers with Kar98a carbines.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Back of Kar98a soldiers.jpeg
    Back of Kar98a soldiers.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 102
I wonder if the chassepot was actually issued to the soldier, or if it was a prop at the photo studio where the picture was taken?

I think it was more of a training rifle. This picture was most likely taken after completing military training for the family back at home. Still I think it's a really cool picture.

My favorite is still the Jager 71 picture, first picture I have found with that rifle in it.

In the photo featuring the artillery piece, how are the three 98 mausers stacked? What is holding them upright? They appear to be 98b versions.

In the photo featuring the artillery piece, how are the three 98 mausers stacked? What is holding them upright? They appear to be 98b versions.

Jim those Mausers would be Kar98a carbines they have a stacking hook built into the stock. The Kar98b would not come into service till the 1920s.

And Amberg as always thank you for the wonderful information.

Jim those Mausers would be Kar98a carbines they have a stacking hook built into the stock. The Kar98b would not come into service till the 1920s. . . . ..

Yeah, I now see it. . . .

Just thought the “contact points” among the three rifles would have been closer to the muzzles.

#4 shows a Bavarian soldier. I was told the he wears the simplified version of the Bavarian Waffenrock Pattern 1907/15.
(I know next to nothing about uniforms and had to ask a member of our WWI forum over here)
As far as I know, only Bavarian and some Württemberg units got the Gottscho bayonet.

#7 might be Bayerisches 2. Fussartillerie Regiment ... ?
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Königlich_Bayerisches_2._Fußartillerie-Regiment
The sender of the postcard writes to his cousin:
We are still on standby in Fort Lorraine. (of the Fortress Metz)
Here you can find a map showing the Fort Lothringen (Lorraine) and some shots, what it looks today.
https://www.festungen.info/content/deutsche-festungen-bis-1914/festungen-rund-um-metz/
https://www.festungen.info/content/...1914/festungen-rund-um-metz/feste-lothringen/

Last edited:
Forgot to thank you Wolfgang for the translations love hearing your findings thanks again! I will say this I'm going to start working on my Deutsch lessons again! Have more cool pictures coming if there is something interesting to show I will let you know.

Military Rifle Journal
Back