Third Party Press

Pretty 1916 Spandau

chrisftk

Staff member
Hi all,

I'm just getting around to snapping some pics of a rifle that arrived last week. It's not a rare maker/date by any stretch, but it's a pretty nice looking example. The rifle is a 1916 Spandau.

All parts match, including cleaning rod with the exception of the handguard and an armorer's follower. The floorplate is re-matched.

Metal condition is great with the most wear on the triggerguard/ The bluing on the barrel is mint and contrasts nicely with the receiver.

This one has a Krupp barrel on it with what looks to be lot #248 and the bore is very nice. As you'll see in the pics, the machining is rough (not WW2 kriegsmodell rough, but you can see shortcuts in finish milling not seen on early rifles)

The wood has dents and dings, but very strong markings.

I have assumed the letter block is "L", but the script letters confuse me at times.

Receiver: 2343 l
Barrel: 2343 l
Bolt body 2343 l
Bolt shroud 43
Cocking piece 43
Safety 43
Extractor 43
Firing pin 43
Stock 2343
Handguard: mismatch
Front band: 43
Rear band: 43
Bayo lug: 43
Buttplate: 2343
Rear sight: 43
Ejector box: 43
Triggerguard 2343
Floorplate: 43
Follower: Unnumbered armorer spare
Screws: 43
Lock screws: imperial, unnumbered
Cleaning rod: 43

IMG_20230701_125330777~2.jpgIMG_20230701_125625720_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125636054_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125649955_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125719699_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125736094_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125741428_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125754112_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125818137_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125822252_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125830057_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125837562_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125916945_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_125926519_HDR.jpgIMG_20230701_130011521_HDR.jpg

Thanks guys, and thank you Clay for spotting it. I've been lucky to find a good collection of harder to find stuff but somehow didn't have a Spandau. I'm glad it's a looker! :)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

While a common maker-date, they are not common in this condition, - neither are the others, even enormous makers, Danzig and Erfurt 98's can be difficult if you are looking for attractive and factory original. Erfurt 1916/1917/1918 are the easiest of course, but if you are real picky they can be a challenge.

I always have fancied bolt and stock matching rifles (though less attractive) over gorgeous bolt-mismatchers, even common makers, but this has both going for it!

When I get on my main computer I will trend this rifle and see if it has any interesting characteristics. Great buy Chris! (BTW, can you show the acceptance stamp below the external serial and whether it has a suffix on the top of the buttplate, I trend both and they would be helpful to include)

Thanks Chris, very helpful, the rifle is probably a L-block, it can be difficult to determine at times and I use to confuse L-blocks for i-blocks. But found the RR trends helpful as the middle acceptance on i-blocks (so far) is a C/D or C/U, whereas all L-blocks through o-block are C/Q, and after that its C/A for awhile. Of course we only have a snap shot of trends to make this observation, but its pretty stable considering it is a Prussian arsenal.

As for stocks this fits also, the wrist is almost a rule to be C/Z (looks like a 3), below the serial C/L is near universal also, the crowned letter under the cypher varies considerably, but this C/H is a common one, along with C/D and C/F (C/D is most common in this range)

The BC fits perfectly, generally progressive, it fits in best at Kr. 248, two b-blocks in the high hundreds, by your range to double suffix they are high Kr. 200's, some fliers here and there. I was glad to record the C/Q for the bolt, second one known, it is almost a rule these carry C/B anywhere near this rifle, but up through the c-block C/Q was the most common by far, after that gave way to C/B, not sure how this one sneaked into the L-block but probably an older bolt? But it fits well on your rifle.

Thanks Paul! Appreciate you giving some context on this one. Very interesting on the bolt. Always interesting to find an anomoly here and there.

Sorry for the late reply Chris but what a wonderful rifle I would have replied sooner but I was at the hospital yesterday. You can't help but like the quality of the Spandau state-run Arsenal!

Sorry for the late reply Chris but what a wonderful rifle I would have replied sooner but I was at the hospital yesterday. You can't help but like the quality of the Spandau state-run Arsenal!
Thanks man! No good about the hospital though-- hope all is ok!

I'm fine I had to take my grandmother to the hospital last night because her sons are on the road was about a five-hour Hospital stay in the emergency room. She's doing well she's at home now.

I guess we should be careful with anomaly as it may imply a deviation from normal and that is only true to the extent of my current trends and they are a mere glimpse, a blink of the eye of what probably exist or made. Bolt acceptance is probably the most difficult characteristic to get, so few have original bolts and few sellers show the angle clearly.

I bet we discover others eventually!

Thanks Paul! Appreciate you giving some context on this one. Very interesting on the bolt. Always interesting to find an anomoly here and there.

Well that is great news, I too was curious what happened to you, hope your Grandmother remains well!

I'm fine I had to take my grandmother to the hospital last night because her sons are on the road was about a five-hour Hospital stay in the emergency room. She's doing well she's at home now.

Glad to hear all is well with your grandmother. I had some unexpected surgery earlier this year so I'm extra conscientious when I hear folks are at the hospital. Hope she continues to remain well.

Thank you for the kinds words. Unfortunately she had to go back today she didn't take her medicine right with food like the doctor told her. She's stubborn in her old age was having nausea issues.

Military Rifle Journal
Back