Third Party Press

T-Block BNZ 45 - Correct Kriegsmodell?

keninga

Howdy-

New member here. I've got a rifle that came out of a collection I liquidated a few years ago, and I finally am getting around to making sure I know exactly what I've got. It's a BNZ 45 K98k, no. 5489T I'm 99% sure it's a correct, full Kriegsmodell, and all matching. The only parts I'm not sure about are the stock and the handguard. The stock looks to be correct, but I don't see a serial number on it anywhere. The handguard is stamped with a serial number, but it doesn't appear to match the rifle itself.

The rifle was missing the front sight hood and the rear site base screw when it came to me. Looking at the amount of wear-and-tear on the front sight, as well as the undamaged phosphate coating in the sight hood mounting grooves, is it possible that a rifle in this later block of production would have left the factory without a front sight hood? I haven't seen enough examples of T-block and later rifles from Steyr in 1945 to have a good feel for that. I'm still slowly but surely combing through the huge amount of information on the board here.

Here's the full album of all of the photos I have taken of this rifle, in much higher resolution: https://imgur.com/a/4H6mlsu

Attachments

• SerialNumber.jpg
    SerialNumber.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 59
  • SerialOverall.jpg
    SerialOverall.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 81
  • StockRight.jpg
    StockRight.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 44
  • StockRightRear.jpg
    StockRightRear.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 61
  • StockWaA.jpg
    StockWaA.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 63
  • UpperHandguardMarkings.jpg
    UpperHandguardMarkings.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 59
  • UpperHandguardTop.jpg
    UpperHandguardTop.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 47
  • BoltOverall.jpg
    BoltOverall.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 43
  • BoltHandleTop.jpg
    BoltHandleTop.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 55
  • BoltSleeveTop.jpg
    BoltSleeveTop.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 42
  • CockingPiece.jpg
    CockingPiece.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 35
  • FiringPin.jpg
    FiringPin.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
More pictures.

Attachments

• ButtLeft.jpg
    ButtLeft.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 29
  • ForeendCap.jpg
    ForeendCap.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 21
  • FiringPinSerial.jpg
    FiringPinSerial.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 16
  • TriggerGuardFrontStock.jpg
    TriggerGuardFrontStock.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 28
  • TriggerguardRight.jpg
    TriggerguardRight.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 19
  • RearBarrelBandOverall.jpg
    RearBarrelBandOverall.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 20
  • FrontBarrelBandRight.jpg
    FrontBarrelBandRight.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 27
  • ReceiverOverallR.jpg
    ReceiverOverallR.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 24
  • ReceiverTop.jpg
    ReceiverTop.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 25
  • FrontSightOverall.jpg
    FrontSightOverall.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 18
...aaaand some more pictures.

Attachments

• Buttplate.jpg
    Buttplate.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 20
  • ButtRight.jpg
    ButtRight.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 40
  • ForeendOverall.jpg
    ForeendOverall.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 22
  • BarrelE.jpg
    BarrelE.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 18
  • BarrelWaA.jpg
    BarrelWaA.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 19
  • FrontSightWaA.jpg
    FrontSightWaA.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 19
  • RearSightSerial.jpg
    RearSightSerial.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 22
  • StockRightRear.jpg
    StockRightRear.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 22
  • FrontSightLeft.jpg
    FrontSightLeft.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 22
  • BoltOverallTop.jpg
    BoltOverallTop.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 25
Looks good to me. Stock is steyr. Handguard?? Wonder what happened there.

Last edited:
Guess what? More pictures!

Attachments

• RearBarrelBandWeld.jpg
    RearBarrelBandWeld.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 14
  • RearBarrelBandLoop.jpg
    RearBarrelBandLoop.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 14
  • RearBarrelBandInside.jpg
    RearBarrelBandInside.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 14
  • RecoilLugLeft2.jpg
    RecoilLugLeft2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 19
  • ReceiverTop.jpg
    ReceiverTop.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 20
  • ReceiverUnder.jpg
    ReceiverUnder.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 16
  • BoltFace.jpg
    BoltFace.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 18
  • BoltHandleUnder.jpg
    BoltHandleUnder.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 19
  • FloorplateProof.jpg
    FloorplateProof.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 17
  • MagazineFloorplate.jpg
    MagazineFloorplate.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 13
Looks like a steyr bolt cutout on the stock. Is there remains of a eagle over H on the stock, and a eagle over 623 in the stock channel under the barrel? I've attached an example of the eagle over H below
a79b6b4ec76f345bd50edc09fc65d14c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looks like a steyr bolt cutout on the stock. Is there remains of a eagle over H on the stock, and a eagle over 623 in the stock channel under the barrel? I've attached an example of the eagle over H below

Yes, there's the eagle over 623 in the stock channel under the barrel. I'll try and get a better picture of that. I haven't been able to find any markings on the outside of the stock.

Attached are a couple of overall pictures. I should've put them in the first post.

Attachments

• IMG_8052.jpg
    IMG_8052.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8053.jpg
    IMG_8053.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 24
What's the serial inside the handgaurd? Usually they aren't serialized but it looks like there's a "0" in there but hard to tell as I'm on my phone. Looks the match the stock from the pictures though. I'd say you're good on all fronts

What's the serial inside the handgaurd? Usually they aren't serialized but it looks like there's a "0" in there but hard to tell as I'm on my phone. Looks the match the stock from the pictures though. I'd say you're good on all fronts

It has the numbers "3902" stamped in the channel of the handguard, with the numbers "222" very messily written in pencil over the stamped numbers.

It has the numbers "3902" stamped in the channel of the handguard, with the numbers "222" very messily written in pencil over the stamped numbers.
Maybe the original handgaurd was misplaced then? Does look to match from the pictures but of course that doesn't mean much

Random guess but I’m betting this rifle had a laminate HG and someone along the way thought it didn’t “look” correct and so they stuck a walnut one on.

Random guess but I’m betting this rifle had a laminate HG and someone along the way thought it didn’t “look” correct and so they stuck a walnut one on.
Would be a very unfortunate but extremely likely scenario. It's a great rifle despite that minor flaw though! Haven't said it yet, but great pick up keninga!

So it seems the consensus is: stock is correct, along with everything else but the handgaurd has been replaced at some point

Last edited:
Funny nobody has noticed - it’s not pressure test proofed. It was an unfinished/untested gun when the war ended, very late serial. I had a similar one I sold years and years ago, 4898 T.

a08316b123f3bc0d947ac5c1839ee307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny nobody has noticed - it’s not pressure test proofed. It was an unfinished/untested gun when the war ended, very late serial. I had a similar one I sold years and years ago, I think it was 5800 T range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does that proof mark look like? (Just curious for my own education--not second-guessing you.)

Also, thank you everybody that has chimed in so far. I appreciate the sheer force of knowledge and attention to detail that is on this forum!

Military Rifle Journal
Back