Third Party Press

Server change?

nirvana

Will the old posts and photos still work once the server is changed? I’ve been to forums in the past that were more or less gutted. Will there be any interface change?

You won’t notice a difference. We have issues here. Because we pretty much let people post whatever photos they wish and allow large size pics, the database is huge. We’ve exceeded our allowed size by 20GB. So, our cost is about to double from previous years, we may be setting up a donate button to help with the cost as well. Eventually Bruce and I won’t be able to pay for this without help anyway.

Our other issue is VBulletin 4 itself is getting long in the tooth, and is no longer supported. The new VBulletin 5 sucks balls which is why I didn’t upgrade to that. For months people that adopted it had major issues. They are probably worked out by now but it’s still not a great format, and supposedly all of the good devs have left the company and work for Xenforo. We may migrate to a completely new forum software in the future, but only if we can bring everything with us. For now, we are only updating server space and speed, and hopefully fix the issue of the long drag accessing pm’s.

This is a photographic depiction of our forum.

c03f5d345b483af960e082c1b432b21e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, the switch is complete. Had to change my original plan of moving to a new host - rather, I used my potential move from our current provider to get a better deal for all the space we need. In a perfect world I'd just host it myself, but I'm just not quite ready for that responsibility. I think the issue of PM's dragging is fixed now too, which was an annoyance - at least on my machine it is.

Anyhow, our cost really doubled to do this. Bruce and I knew eventually we would have to ask forum members for donations to keep this ship sailing, the time has come for that. We both agree that we will pay half the cost and solicit donations to help cover the balance - $300 fundraising goal. If people kick in 5 bucks it would help.

You put a way to donate, and the guys here will step up, guaranteed....

This forum is the best, and I would have no problem floating some scoots to support it...

I will suggest, and I know a lot of people hate them, but PayPal is probably the easiest way to get donations in...

Bruce and Mike are welcome to the $20 a year I used to donate to sturmgewehr.com back when Buddy ran it. Just tell me where to send it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back