Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ar43

Default ar43

Bought this rifle from a co-worker earlier this year for a very good price. Matching original condition, ar43, serial 3539L. Bore is in excellent condition. The front sight hood is a replacement I got off Ebay (seller stated it was original German, but who knows if that's true) as the original was missing. I was able to get the rifle apart once, but haven't been able to again as the band spring is extremely hard to push in far enough to get the front band off and I don't want to risk getting any stock damage trying to use something to push it in. The stock is matching numbered in the channel and in the hand guard channel, although the second digit of the serial on the hand guard is stamped "6" rather than "5" which I am sure is a factory stamping error as the numbers look very similar. The hand guard wear is consistent with the rest of the rifle. The original cleaning rod is coded "i", the bolt is FN made and the stamped trigger guard is Eagle/214 inspected. That's about the limit on non Borsigwalde parts I can verify. Sorry for photo quality, best I can do at present.

IMGP2594.jpgIMGP2593.jpgIMGP2608.jpgIMGP2610.jpgIMGP2612.jpgIMGP2614.jpgIMGP2619.jpg
    IMGP2621.jpgIMGP2625.jpgIMGP2627.JPGIMGP2634.jpgIMGP2635.jpgIMGP2636.jpgIMGP2637.jpg

very nice. My ar42 has two parts marked "wrong", maybe, 39 vs 38.

Quote Originally Posted by mto7464 View Post
    very nice. My ar42 has two parts marked "wrong", maybe, 39 vs 38.
    Good to hear that, maybe its more common than I thought.

Just curious, why is there 2 different fonts for the "3"? Is that common to be used on the same rifle? Ron

Quote Originally Posted by tanker1 View Post
    Just curious, why is there 2 different fonts for the "3"? Is that common to be used on the same rifle? Ron
    Absolutely. That rifle is right. Pic stickied it in fact. Contrary to old info and BOTW, etc., having appropriate font variance is like having a WW2 M1 carbine with parts with mixed finishes, blue and parkerized, difference parkerizing colors. If it all looks exactly the same, start worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by tanker1 View Post
    My ar 42 has two different "3" and "1" fonts. The 3 fonts look exactly the same as this ar 43.
    Thanks

Default Ar43

Who made the receiver. It could be an astrawerke or mauser berlin type. It's not un-common the have as many a three different fonts used on a k98. Ar and dou are two that come to mind right off the bat..

Quote Originally Posted by mauser99 View Post
    Who made the receiver. It could be an astrawerke or mauser berlin type. It's not un-common the have as many a three different fonts used on a k98. Ar and dou are two that come to mind right off the bat..
    As far as I could tell the receiver appears to be Mauser Borsigwalde. I could not find any other codes on it.

Generally if the receiver is sub-contracted, say Astrawerke or ERMA, they will have a code or a waffenamt on the right receiver. It is always a good idea to show the RR, whether something is there or not. From the other picture you posted of this rifle, just a top receiver picture, we know it has an MB final, and it follows the correct pattern for this maker in this range. It probably is blank on the RR if it follows other in this range with these characteristics.

Interestingly, MB is a very neat maker this year, Astrawerke and ERMA supplied MB with receivers, though pretty much all that ERMA supplied went to JP Sauer, and are Sauer rifles except the code on top. You have some ar/43's finished by MO, and other oddballs, like the so-called dual codes and bcd/43 marked receivers finished by MB.

After 1942 the code on top is not a good way to identify the maker-assembler of a rifle (even earlier in some cases.. like BSW). Acceptance tells you who made the rifle, not the code on the receiver (the marking on top doesn't even tell you who made the actual receiver)

In general, it is a good idea, especially if seeking a detailed response, to show every angle on a rifle that has a marking (code or waffenamt), and in the case of the RR, whether it has anything or not. Barrel codes can tell you things about your rifle sometimes, but often it is a combination of several things that tell you what your rifle is. Many overlook component acceptance, especially mid-war when parts are not always marked if in-house manufactured.

If the RR or small components (bands, rear sight, or tg components) are unmarked, it helps tremendously to state this- if they are marked, that is even more important. Both for trends work and answers (without trends work the answers are not going to be very accurate)

Very Nice, wish I could find one for "a very good price"