Third Party Press

Gewehrfabrik Danzig - stamped on wood "Hans Rehbronn"

PJB

On hunting rifles M98 manufactured by the "Gewehrfabrik Danzig" in 1920/21, in addition to the standard markings on the weapon, there are other.

One of them appears on the wooden on the left side under the chamber. There is marking in the form of an embossed (stamped) inscription in two lines with the content:
Hans Rehbronn
Danzig

https://images.app.goo.gl/rMa1gxAmRvDkaC1B8

At present, such marking on weapons from Gdańsk is known in two cases with serial numbers:

What did it mean and who was Hans Rehbronn?

Answer maybe soon (But is was not a seller)

But before that I have questions:

1. Does anyone have a good quality photo of this marking?

2. Are there other weapons with this marking?

This is a unique rifle, probably this Hans Rehbronn was a Danziger (ethnic German from Danzig) who purchased the sporting rifle (or possibly a dealer if two rifles have the same name over Danzig?). Most known in America are marked "Germany" on the stock and sometimes barrel (for commercial sale in the US), but rarely are names involved, only one I have seen is marked with an individuals name (Dieter). Most marked with "Germany" on the stock or barrel start in the 1000 serial range and go to 7000 serial range. Before 1000 they are general unmarked to name or country.

On some of the optical fitted rifles Suhl firms are sometimes marked in the barrel.

Not much is known about these postwar builds, neither the ones from Danzig, nor the ones made by Amberg (which are far more scarce).

Obviously, these rifles were marketed widely, some in Republican Germany and some locally in Danzig, possibly Poland as well as Danzig's largest trading partner was Poland at this time (though they did sell world wide - small arms related items, barrels in particular, which is why they lost the rifle making machinery to Poland eventually)

http://forum.robsoft.nu/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76579

For my opinion Hans Rehbronn was an arms- and ammunition dealer in Danzig. I will made an search in the Danzig archive, lets see whats come up.

The hunting rifles made by the Gewehrfabrik Danzig after WW1 are quite rare, in Germany i have never seen an Danzig made one with the "Rehbronn" stamp.
Here two examples from an article that i wrote about this guns, left made by Amberg, right an example from Danzig.

37789277kv.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for answer

In my investigation Hans Rehbronn was a carpenter.

I try translate this, after publication. This is short text in polish.

An fast and yet not deep search gives an Hans Rehbronn in the 1915 Danzig adressbook, marked as "Kaufmann" : business- ore tradesman,what would make sense in trading guns or rifles.

37792161ox.jpg

Still in 1921 Hans Rehbronn had an tradeagency- in german " K(au)fm(ännische) Agentur. It is the only thing that makes sense in relation to the rifles.
It is possible that he owned also an furniture trade (page 942 advertisment) or - factory without contact to his tradeagency.

37797805xa.jpg

Last edited:
His connection with rifle from Gewehrfabrik Danzig is he made or possibility made rifle stock.
Whether it was a permanent co-operation with rifle factory or occasional for other is difficult to say.
Certainly he used the buildings rifle factory, maybe even employed people who had worked before with rifle stock production.
For me his name on rifle stock is specific form of reklam. Maybe he count on larger orders from abroad to this.
That is my opinion on this time, of course you can not agree with them.

There were only three arms dealers in Gdańsk at that time:
M. Kelber&Zwielich
Kuhnert Franz
Wischnewski Adolf

but on this list not H. Rehbronn.

Original text of articles is in polish, not published yet.
The translation may contain errors.

REHBRONN Hans - the “szyftarz” (rifle stock maker) from Królikarnia?

On several known copies of the M98 hunting cutter manufactured by the "Gewehrfabrik Danzig" weapon factory in 1920/21, in addition to the standard markings on the weapon, there are other.

One of them appears on the rifle stock on the left on the handle under the castle chamber. There is marking in the form of an embossed (stamped) inscription in two lines with the content:
Hans Rehbronn
Danzig

At present, such marking on weapons originating in Gdańsk is known in two cases, on copies with serial numbers:

Perhaps there are more of these markings, or at least there were. Because this inscription may have disappeared during the renovation of the bed at a later time or after its replacement, as it often happens.

However, this marking does not appear on another type of weapon from Gdansk (or at least not found so far), namely the small-caliber Modell 2 sporting carbine.

So what did this marking mean and who was Hans Rehbronn?

Hans Rehbronn appears in the address books of the city of Gdańsk around 1911. He appears in them as a trademan (kaufmann) in an unspecified trade (this has not been established yet). However, his business must thrive and prosper, as he changes the addresses of his headquarters in a fairly short time. Initially, it is at Jopengasse 10 (Piwna Street), then at Um Holzraum 6 (?), And finally at 7 Holzmarkt Street (Targ Drzewny Street).

So what is his relationship with this marking on the weapon. It would seem that simple, since he was a trader he could also deal in the arms trade. However, in my opinion it is doubtful, the truth can be much more interesting.

Well, at the turn of 1920/21 Hans Rehbronn opens unexpectedly a new business providing services in the field of joinery and the production of stylish furniture in Gdansk.

The headquarters still remained at the street Targ Drzewny, while the workshop or production plant itself was located in a building formerly owned by the rifle factory, located at its rear at Kolkowgasse 15a (now ul. Królikarnia). Right next door at Kolkowgasse 15 was his warehouse (warehouse) of his company.

After the First World War, probably some of the buildings belonging to the arms factory were rented to other entrepreneurs. Also Mr. Rehbronn benefited, like most Gdańsk entrepreneurs at the time, by renting them for his new business. This information can be found mainly in the Address Books of the city of Gdańsk from that period by conducting an appropriate query.

It is likely that Hans Rehbonn's start-up next to the Kolkowgasse rifle factory was not entirely accidental. And in addition to renting the rooms themselves, he also received access to machines located there. Which may mean that in this place earlier there could have been a factory carpentry factory.

Thus, by the way, it would mean that we may have located one of the production departments of the former Royal Prussian Rifle Factory in which rifle stock were manufactured (?).

It is not known, however, whether Mr. Rehbronn's adventure with the production of bearing for weapons was only incidental, or whether the company was a regular supplier at that time to Gewehrfabrik Danzig. And if so, on what terms did this cooperation take place.

On this occasion, I will explain a little bit from the title of this article. By definition, the “szyftarz” is a craftsman of the old profession who manufactures bearings (exclusively) for firearms. Later this profession disappeared and merged with gunsmithing directly. Nowadays, hardly anyone knows what the representative of this profession was doing.

Was Hans Rehbronn a “szyftarz” (rifle stock maker)? I can't say it clearly, whether it was still a craft or already a factory production. In any case, he was given the opportunity to make weapon beds or at least offered this opportunity at his factory.

Perhaps, like any craftsman, he marked his products in this way, or maybe it was a form of specific advertising, so as to attract the attention of the recipients (this weapon was exported) in order to receive some larger orders for these specific or at any production ranges .

The above article applies to the state of knowledge as at 02/02/2020

Attachments

• Kolkowgasse 15a plan Buhsego.jpg
    Kolkowgasse 15a plan Buhsego.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Kolkowgasse 15a GoogleMaps sat 3D zn.jpg
    Kolkowgasse 15a GoogleMaps sat 3D zn.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 18
  • AB D 1921 Strona00942 a.JPG
    AB D 1921 Strona00942 a.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 22
All is possible at this time of knowledge.

BTW- i am looking since an long time for pics of the Gewehrfabrik Danzig from before or shortly after WW1- did you have an source for this????

Military Rifle Journal
Back