Enfields Inglis r.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Enfields Inglis r close.jpg
    Enfields Inglis r close.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Enfields Inglis  l close.jpg
    Enfields Inglis l close.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 95
Where the HP's issued mostly to Candiens primarily or to all commonwealth equally ?

Later 1944 issued, primarily first to airborne units, Canadian and British, then they were intended to replace the revolvers. The No.2 tangent sight was for Chinese contract though some were supposed to have been diverted to British use without the stock holster. The web holster you see was the first pattern and found generally too tight for service use.

Rear sight

Later 1944 issued, primarily first to airborne units, Canadian and British, then they were intended to replace the revolvers. The No.2 tangent sight was for Chinese contract though some were supposed to have been diverted to British use without the stock holster. The web holster you see was the first pattern and found generally too tight for service use.

I have not seen very many of the fixed sight versions. That one is stunning ! Are they bring backs or were they imported in the 60's. I would imagine the HP holster wartime is hard to get given the introduction of the weapon.

Thanks Jack. Beyond about 2T and 3T they start going into postwar production/issue. The Canadians still have them in stores, unissued, with the stickers on the front strap. They have released them, surplus, which are import marked, some brought in by Simsons. I believe SAS may still used them and certain elements of the Canadian military still may have them. Remember that these and the L9s, were the standard handgun of the Canadian and British, and probably Australian militaries up into the 90s. I have another which is a Brit rework of an Inglis.

EDIT: One thing to remember on Inglis HPs: They were extensively reworked with that "stoving" black paint finish. In factory original condition the numbers on the slide and frame will be IN THE WHITE because they were applied AFTER the pistol was dark parkerized. Also, the cross flag inspection markings will show stamping after finishing.

Last edited:
Nice Brits Ham! I love the Hi-Power...I once had a under German management Hi-Power with German proofs...I stupidly traded it off, wish I still had it.

Here are my two, both Webley's....a WWI vintage, 1915 dated Mk VI .455 (maker mark double stamped, but still...), and a "War Finish" Mk IV .38

I always liked these break open brits, even though the rounds are somewhat anemic...

Attachments

• DSC02652.jpg
    DSC02652.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC02653.JPG
    DSC02653.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02654.JPG
    DSC02654.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02656.JPG
    DSC02656.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC02658.JPG
    DSC02658.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC02660.JPG
    DSC02660.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02661.JPG
    DSC02661.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 17
Very nice Pzjgr. I like them too. I have a P.35(b) or two, stupidly sold and traded off others in the past. I believe the P.35 is my favorite pistol, though the M1911 in .45 is the go to working pistol. The big .455s have some wallop, and of course if you could always hit an enemy with it. I like the top breaks as well and that Webley is a beauty.

WC, thanks, that's a great link! The workmanship and finish on Inglis pistols is exceptional, better than the majority of M1911A1s IMHO, and certainly a better pistol than anything the Germans were using, including their own version of the HP/GP.35.

Very cool site...neat pics! My dummy Bren is an Inglis....kind of sad to see history disappear in favor of more crappy condo's...

I live 5 minutes from the old Buffalo Arms plant, which is still standing, its now an industrial park housing multiple companies, but its still there. They made .30 cal, .50 cal, and 20mm guns from 1941 until the 50's...and I would guess very few people know what it used to be...

Military Rifle Journal
Back