Third Party Press

Help to identify this DWM Mauser? What year is it ? etc. Not seen another one like it

Registered
Have not seen another one, even a picture of one remotely close to it

vitu3qOV_o.jpg

Proof mark and 784 stamped on the receiver & on the hexagon barrel

lR7eryyq_o.jpg

Close up of the proof markings.

C4zYwbN6_o.jpg

Length of the hexagon barrel where it's pressed into the receiver.

n3Zrg9qj_o.jpg

Close up picture of the rear sight, assuming it is a 1000 meter sight ?

8Cc3QJle_o.jpg

Close up of the front sight.

JtVq7qEF_o.jpg

Buttstock photo with brass plate insert.

g7QWKWmt_o.jpg

Photo of the front sling swivel except it doesn't swivel. Lol

9CpSC3Ri_o.jpg

Other than the markings I've shown in the pictures there are no other markings on this unique firearm. No serial number nothing. Another thing I couldn't figure is there is no safety that I could tell. It took me 45 mins to figure out how to put the bolt back into the receiver LOl. I just started piddling with these older firearms recently and picked this one up last month cause it looked interesting & it had a hexagon barrel. What is it worth ? Please post your comments below. Thank you for your assistance and Special Thanks to the K98k forum for making this post and other posts in this forum possible.

Attachments

• MAUSER 5.jpg
    MAUSER 5.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 12
  • MAUSER 14.jpg
    MAUSER 14.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 12
This is a beautiful example, that I would love to own, wink wink, of what is commonly called Pleizer Gewehr. In the late 1890's and early 1900's, DWM sold commercial rifles, most likely to use up existing stocks of rifles parts of "older" technologies.

If you post a few pictures of the bolt I can probably help you with the missing safety.

If you carefully remove the rifle from the stock, you will find a few, small, markings, though there may not be many. The examples I have seen were not commercially proofed.

Most notably these were sold to Africa, with many associating these rifles to the OVS and ZAR, though they were sold everywhere. My own, is a bit earlier than yours, serial number 8, though it is a much more plain model, with a round barrel, and double leaf folding sight.

Military Rifle Journal
Back