Third Party Press

FG42 8mm Kurtz

jithaca

Other than the one anecdotal story about a plow horse being killed with one, are there any known photos, diagrams or additional info on an FG42 chambered in 8 mm Kurtz?

Other than the one anecdotal story about a plow horse being killed with one, are there any known photos, diagrams or additional info on an FG42 chambered in 8 mm Kurtz?

Here’s a photo of one at the Wehrtechnische Studiensammlung in Koblenz.

Attachments

• 6E5CCEC7-AD17-4F35-9CAF-F51B1CFCEDF0.jpg
    6E5CCEC7-AD17-4F35-9CAF-F51B1CFCEDF0.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 171
While an experimental FG42 in 8mm Kurz is rumored to exist (and there is an account of one in the book "Death From Above") I am not aware of any pictures, drawings or technical information having survived.

There are no such diagrams or photos as far as my amateur-but enthusiastic study of the FG42 goes. As a side note -

I like the piece on the MP44 vs. FG42 trials in the excellent book "Death from above."

It's quite a long read but rather interesting, in summation, "paraphrased badly" by Pitfighter as follows:

As far as the Heer were concerned the MP44 won hands down and as far as the Luftwaffe were concerned it was a clear victory for the Fg42.

yet Yugoslavian paratroopers used the MP-44 up until the late 80's,

great thread

And the FG42 lived on with our own projects and even in original form (with some special forces trials) as well. Keep in mind the extremely small production numbers of the FG42, which combined with the extremely small survival rate of WWII weapons would mean no one could issue them in numbers unless more were made.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the MP44 to be a vastly superior weapon and prefer them myself. I just think that the FG42 is not the "loser", but it is simply cannot be the winner when comparing the two. If there was no MP44 the FG42 would be a fantastic substitute (especially in 8x33).

I was not comparing, you missed the point. I only pointed that the MP-44 carried on, nothing about one verses the other

the germans preferred the fg42, the yugo's utilized the MP-44 for decades

I was not comparing, you missed the point. I only pointed that the MP-44 carried on, nothing about one verses the other

the germans preferred the fg42, the yugo's utilized the MP-44 for decades
I didn't miss the point, you provided your thoughts on longevity and I did the same.

FYI I have discussed a kurz conversion with Rick Smith and although we both agree it would be cooler than Heidi Klum attending your birthday party with a dozen of her hottest friends, it would be way too much work at this point to fit in our schedules.

Military Rifle Journal
Back