Third Party Press

Can you help me identify this bayonet?

kev308

Thanks for any help with this. I was handed this bayonet from my son's friend. I really have no idea what it's for other than German manufacture.
They insisted it was WW1 but I couldn't find anything to back that up.
Thanks in advance for any and all help
Kevin

IMG_2104.jpgIMG_4559.jpg

German S1871/84 with bavarian unit, the frog could be later period post 1936 with removed secure strap.

The SG 71/84 was introduced in 1887 and some were still in use during WWI.

Unit stamp = Bavarian 5th Reserve Infanterie Regiment

Like mentioned by others the S1871/84 was used long period on Gew71/84 and Gew88 rifles, the scabbard should be normally matching unit stamped, the Kgl.Bayerisch 5. Reserve Infanterie Regt, here mostly Rekruten Depot 2.company weapon nr.161, was raised on 2.8 1914 so the unit stamp is of WW1, it was used on backlines or by school units that formed soldiers to front on backland. question here how it was found in NY? In WW1 captured, or later.When mixed with WW2 frog so mostly in WW2 by GI stationed in Bavaria? b.r.Andy

Like mentioned by others the S1871/84 was used long period on Gew71/84 and Gew88 rifles, the scabbard should be normally matching unit stamped, the Kgl.Bayerisch 5. Reserve Infanterie Regt, here mostly Rekruten Depot 2.company weapon nr.161, was raised on 2.8 1914 so the unit stamp is of WW1, it was used on backlines or by school units that formed soldiers to front on backland. question here how it was found in NY? In WW1 captured, or later.When mixed with WW2 frog so mostly in WW2 by GI stationed in Bavaria? b.r.Andy

My sons friend lives in Pt Lookout, his neighbor was renovating the ir house and it was found in the wall. That's the best I can tell you.
Thankyou for the information you posted.
Very cool piece of history here
Kevin

My sons friend lives in Pt Lookout, his neighbor was renovating the ir house and it was found in the wall. That's the best I can tell you.
Thankyou for the information you posted.
Very cool piece of history here
Kevin

There certainly is a story there. All I have found behind my walls are empty Miller bottles.

Yes there's an L over 88
Crown(?) over L over 88. Made in 1888 used by Bavaria. The L stands for Prince Luitpold of Bavaria who was named regent at the time. His nephew. King Otto had been judged mentally unfit to rule.
This bayonet was kept in service for some time. 1888 until the end of WWI or maybe longer. Man, if this one could talk.

Military Rifle Journal
Back