Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41 G33/40 Thoughts

Default 41 G33/40 Thoughts

Hi all. Just bought this from the gunboards forum. Seller sent pictures and I thought all looked good. He didn't know much about these as he was selling for family friend. I knew going into the purchase the barrel, from what i was told was new old stock? I have been trying to do as much research as I can on these rifles and have ordered all 3 books to help out. Stock does not match the gun but bolt and receiver do. I have not taken down the bolt yet but plan on doing so as the seller said it matched. Sling appears to be original. Your expert thoughts are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bolt Pictures

My opinion is someone started with a receiver and bolt, and then built a rifle around it. It appears the barrel, stock and receiver all have different serial numbers. It does seem to have correct G33/40 parts, but it did not come from the factory like this IMHO.

My "theory" would be someone either reclaimed a receiver from a sporter, or found a receiver that had been stripped of parts in anticipation of building one.

My 945/1940 G33/40 is just such an example. Many years ago I bought the stripped receiver from a retired gunsmith who had it in a box of parts. One call to the now defunct Springfield Sporters in PA. and
    I had a correct barrel complete with sights, a stock and bands, found a correct bolt at a gunshow, and after a trip to the gunsmith to rebarrel and headspace, I had a functioning representative example, but not an original one.

The barrel may have been NOS at one time i.e. the 0.2, but it was originally used in another rifle in my opinion, no other way to explain the non matching sn.

I see choppy waters ahead...

email => K98@bobinohio.com

I agree itís a out together. Cleaning rod is not correct. They had a special proprietary cleaning rod and hood.
    Looking for 10" cleaning rod, early style e/214 #91, nazi style e/26 #04

Here's some info if it will load...

http://ycgg.org/g3340-945-dot

Hmm. Well i knew going into it the barrel didn't match. The guy said they had the barrel put on years ago. Thouhts on the sling?
    Also, if you guys were to put an amount on it, what would it be? If i'm out a lot i may see if the seller would take it back.
    Last edited by Missourigunguy; 02-12-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Sling looks legit but the keeper looks newer than rest of the sling. Notice the buckle is stamped L&F for Linden and Funk which is legit. My dad's bringback 243 1940 has the L&F sling also.

How much money do you have in this rifle? That will affect our opinions.
    Actually I am the master of REAL information! Cartoon characters like you have no real arguments.
    - ShooterIke at gunboards

Quote Originally Posted by Missourigunguy View Post
    Hi all. Just bought this from the gunboards forum. Seller sent pictures and I thought all looked good. He didn't know much about these as he was selling for family friend. I knew going into the purchase the barrel, from what i was told was new old stock? I have been trying to do as much research as I can on these rifles and have ordered all 3 books to help out. Stock does not match the gun but bolt and receiver do. I have not taken down the bolt yet but plan on doing so as the seller said it matched. Sling appears to be original. Your expert thoughts are appreciated.
    First off.... don't be frustrated with collecting. So, little if anything matches on your rifle, and most of the value is likely in the wood. It's a collection of parts. Not sure who numbered the bolt and when, but originally the Germans only numbered the bolt's arm along the curve (see pic). The metal is pitted and would appeal to a smaller group of shooters and, honestly, no collectors. While relatively few 33/40s were built (130K or so) and many were sported, your example is still a tough sell. The sling is also in the same rough category. To the books, they are great as a reference, but you will find only about 3 pages on the 33/40.