Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Need help purchasing my first Mauser

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25

    Default Need help purchasing my first Mauser

    I found a few Mausers online, I’m trying to get one with historical symbolism, but also wanting to have one that is still able to be fired. Obviously I don’t want to put a million rounds through it, but maybe put two or three rounds through it then put it back up for display. Anyways I have a few pictures of one I’m interested in but I know nothing about how to authenticate them other than small bits and pieces, can anyone help?

    The numbers look right and everything on it looks good but I don’t know. He says that it was a German rifle but captured by British and sold to Iraq.

  2. #2
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    4,437

    Default

    Definitely has Iraqi Jeems. I like the rough metal finish on the receiver. Bolt mismatch (not sure about those polished parts?) with other renumbered parts so no issues using it or firing it from a collectors standpoint. I guess it comes down to how much he wants for it?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    NH - Live Free or Die!
    Posts
    70

    Default

    There are several things I see that I’d find concerning, depending on your goals in making a purchase.I’m new here, but I’ve looked at 1000s of pix here & elsewhere, & notice some “doesn’t seem right” features in each pic. I can’t speak to the accuracy of the “story”, and am NOT an expert on the plethora of marks on the rifle, but as an example of a functioning model 98 w/ lower (subjective) asking $, OK, but not as a “really nice” example for an educated collector.
    Some w/ more knowledge may disagree, but that’s what I see.......
    (Reminds me of my 1st Model 98, a sporterized 1909 Argentine cavalry carbine)
    Munchener 1953

  4. #4
    RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Kavallerie-Regiment 15, Paderborn
    Posts
    4,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muncher 1953 View Post
    There are several things I see that I’d find concerning, depending on your goals in making a purchase
    ...not as a “really nice” example for an educated collector.
    Maybe I misread his intent but I didn't get that he was looking at this as a 'really nice' collector. Of course price dependent but as a shooter/useable piece I'd take this over a pimp shined show queen like a MM where everything is fake. Once the price gets above a certain point I'd suggest him looking at a bolt m/m.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

  5. #5
    Senior Member flynaked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Even further from Dallas
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Not British, it’s an East German rework

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynaked View Post
    Not British, it’s an East German rework
    Ah ok. I mean I don’t know as much as others as it would be honestly my first firearm. But I have some other pictures of a guy I’m talking to as well he sent me this morning.

    I mean the East German rework one I’ll have to ask but I think it was like $800.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Definitely has Iraqi Jeems. I like the rough metal finish on the receiver. Bolt mismatch (not sure about those polished parts?) with other renumbered parts so no issues using it or firing it from a collectors standpoint. I guess it comes down to how much he wants for it?
    I’m not too concerned with the numbers mismatching. It can literally have 20 different serial numbers (just an exaggeration) as long as all the parts are authentic and used during war time, I’m happy.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    NH - Live Free or Die!
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    Maybe I misread his intent but I didn't get that he was looking at this as a 'really nice' collector. Of course price dependent but as a shooter/useable piece I'd take this over a pimp shined show queen like a MM where everything is fake. Once the price gets above a certain point I'd suggest him looking at a bolt m/m.
    HM,
    no, probably my misread. Pixel wrote that he wanted a rifle w/some historical significance, it may depend on what that means to each of us.
    I like shooters, mostly all I have, & that rifle looks safe from what we can see. If OP is likely to buy only this one, to treasure & hold, if it were me, I’d keep looking, depending on price.........
    Munchener 1953

  9. #9
    Senior Member sprat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,086

    Default

    I posted earlier but for some reason it did not come up in this thread

    yes it is East German rebuild, remove the stock under the barrel shank take more pictures, I think there is a surprise under the barrel ( I could be wrong) love the proofs

    better yet it is marked 1001 eg property mark also do I see "MDI" on the barrel if yes this is a collector east german not a shooter,

    I need more pictures of the buttstock area and buttplate

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    I posted earlier but for some reason it did not come up in this thread

    yes it is East German rebuild, remove the stock under the barrel shank take more pictures, I think there is a surprise under the barrel ( I could be wrong) love the proofs

    better yet it is marked 1001 eg property mark also do I see "MDI" on the barrel if yes this is a collector east german not a shooter,

    I need more pictures of the buttstock area and buttplate

    Only issue is I would have to get the guy who wants to sell it to do that and he doesn’t even want to take more pics as he isn’t responding to me at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •