Third Party Press

German 88mm Gun FLAK Shell

Hercules

I got this German 88mm Anti-Aircraft FLAK Gun Shell for Valentines Day from my wife. Looks great in the military room. Has a grey coating on the casing itself. I have to decide if I should strip this grey off case or not. I am going to leave it alone for a while as it is just a decoration. Ha Ha.

Let me know what you think. Take the grey off casing or not???????? Only seen a couple of these. Mainly in photos on this site.

Last edited:
That is awesome. My wife gave me a card that was written by someone else. Not even sure she signed it. I really want an 88 round. One day. Hopefully

Nice looking round!! The grey is likely an epoxy paint from Finland. A bunch of these were surprised she’s ago.
And the shell itself is a type that was found in a hoard. There are lots of 6/44 SK marked shells. I’d say leave it as is.

Nice round, Finnish capture....that is why the grey coating on the case...Nice early steel case...

Personally I would strip the grey coating, that is a Finnish thing. I'd also strip that fuze, as her Germans did not paint them either...but that is ultimately up to you.

The projectile is the most common one found with these Finnish captures, late war pre-fragmented....that I'd leave the yellow paint as is, it looks pretty close...

The projectile would be stenciled with various info (weight zone of the shell, manufacture and filling info, etc) if you wanted to restore those I could give you guidance on that...

These are great rounds, hard to find complete, and super impressive...

Congrats!

FLAK Shell

Thanks guys for the info. on the shell. I did not know that about the Finish capture aspect. I had never seen one before. I may leave this one as is for a while.

Nice round, Finnish capture....that is why the grey coating on the case...Nice early steel case...

Personally I would strip the grey coating, that is a Finnish thing. I'd also strip that fuze, as her Germans did not paint them either...but that is ultimately up to you.

The projectile is the most common one found with these Finnish captures, late war pre-fragmented....that I'd leave the yellow paint as is, it looks pretty close...

The projectile would be stenciled with various info (weight zone of the shell, manufacture and filling info, etc) if you wanted to restore those I could give you guidance on that...

These are great rounds, hard to find complete, and super impressive...

Congrats!

Thank you. I may leave the coating for a while. Looks super cool as is. But, I may change it in the future and would be interested in how it looked before the Fins changed it if you had some info.

Do you know how they got to USA? Maybe in Shotgun News or Ect.

Thanks.

Thank you. I may leave the coating for a while. Looks super cool as is. But, I may change it in the future and would be interested in how it looked before the Fins changed it if you had some info.

Do you know how they got to USA? Maybe in Shotgun News or Ect.

Thanks.

Here is a good 88 clearing house thread started by Ham after he bought one from me...

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?34172-Flak-18-8-8-cm-Xmas

How they got to the states? I think this Surplus Store based near Provincetown, MA on the Cape brought in a lot...long time ago, late 80's, early 90's while at their store in P-Town, I was talking to the manager about more collectible stuff, and she called over to their warehouse and asked if I could go over and poke around. The warehouse guy said sure, so I went and found it, he let me roam and grab anything I wanted...

They had a metric shite TON of artillery stuff brought over from Finland...I bought case crates for the 15cm SFH 18 (and some cases too!), Crates for the 10,5cm lFH 18 cases, a waterproof round container for the KM 10,5cm SK C/32...and a few other odds and ends...think they brought in a bunch, they said the rounds had already been sold and distributed...So there was definitely a shite ton of Finnish captured Arty stuff surplused and brought in around that time...

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back