Third Party Press

A good buy?

Flowida

I’m considering buying this rifle but since I’m not the most knowledgeable on this rifle I’d like to ask for your guys’ opinion. Would you say it’s a good buy or would it be too much to spend $1000 on it? Thanks.

Mod edit: removed auction link.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m considering buying this rifle but since I’m not the most knowledgeable on this rifle I’d like to ask for your guys’ opinion. Would you say it’s a good buy or would it be too much to spend $1000 on it? Thanks.

[/url]

Welcome to our forum. Please be advised, there is no linking to live auctions. You can post the photos, but not the auction.

KJ

Last edited by a moderator:
As KJ stated no live auctions are allowed to be posted here, but I will say this it's a very interesting, rifle. You're allowed to post pictures here post some pictures of the rifle and I will explain more.

Seller says in the title - "MATCHING STOCK!" and in the body "Stock has original bcd/eagle coded Cartouches throughout!! All the numbers are matching throughout however trigger plate appears to have some extra numbers. Screws are also numbered to the rifle." I don't see any of this??

Well the 'extra numbers' part is right I guess? :facepalm:

if I recall where you not advised last week to due some research here and at shows, before you impulse buy

also you do not have the experience to buy properly on-line, you may get lucky

Looking like a Mauser Oberndorf stock with E/135 stamps...

That's what I thought however for me only one of the photos with stock stamps was clear enough for me to even confirm.

Jordan I didn't look at the proofs specifically and didn't notice anything offhand. I couldn't reconcile any way the stock for quite a few reasons. Still should have been externally serialed and the acceptance patterns aren't right for a '41 either.

I would nearly 100% expect a Menzel 'C' stock with the serial and suffix on the keel and internally numbered wood. e/749 acceptance. Also the bottom metal is not only the wrong numbers but wrong supplier too.

Just curious, have any of you ever seen a rifle with a "matching" stock, but from a totally different manufacturer ? Saying, a person somehow came across another makers rifle with a SN matching their receiver. Example, a bcd receiver with a serial number 1234, but a mismatch stock. Person miraculously finds a byf stock numbered 1234 online and places it with barreled receiver.

I'm sure it would be rare but I can see it being done... of course those who know these rifles would spot it, with fonts, WaA's, etc. I've always wondered this...

Just curious, have any of you ever seen a rifle with a "matching" stock, but from a totally different manufacturer ? Saying, a person somehow came across another makers rifle with a SN matching their receiver. Example, a bcd receiver with a serial number 1234, but a mismatch stock. Person miraculously finds a byf stock numbered 1234 online and places it with barreled receiver.

I'm sure it would be rare but I can see it being done... of course those who know these rifles would spot it, with fonts, WaA's, etc. I've always wondered this...

IMO, and it’s just that, I believe such a scenario is quite credible, particularly in the later war years, there was just so much chaos and last minute ad hoc re-adjustments. But our late war experts might be able to speak to this with authority.

KJ

Well there's believers out there! Allegedly. My take is 'elange 15' pushed 'VELOCITYWORKS' one bid too far. You can use your own judgement but notice 'elange 15' creates his account just after the item is listed and has NO track record. Is it possible? Of course just a bit too convenient for me.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/856562153

IMHO, way too much money but whatever. Suckers galore I guess? YMMV

"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own a nice bringback with its original crate!!" That must be it! Once in a lifetime..

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back