Third Party Press

JGA and Waffen-Jung Stuttgart marked .22 trainer

Absolut

JGA and Waffen-Jung Stuttgart marked 4mm trainer

I'm one of these unlucky persons which gets annoyed by other persons who bring you items. And even worse, most time I can't resist and buy the stuff. This happened today when I got offered two "training rifles". Well, the other one was quite obvious (JGA Büscher Sportmodell), but I couldn't find anything on this rifle shown below.

It is marked JGA on the receiver, but does not carry any model designation. Aside of the serial "0097" on the receiver the only other marking is atop the barrel shank saying "Waffen-Jung, Stuttgart". The rifle partially resembles JGA .22 rifles which are shown in Simpsons book, but the cutout of the stock and the receiver for the chamber is unlike anything he has shown in there. And finally the - to me weirdest feature - the "bolt release knob" can be pressed, but it has no function at all. To be able to remove the bolt you only need to hold the trigger to remove the bolt?

All is thickly in grease and some parts are even painted for protection, when I find time in the next few days to clean it I'll do better pictures than these crappy mobile phone shots. But they should show the "important details" for hopefully a proper identification.

*EDIT* after cleaning I noticed this is not a .22 rifle but a 4mm rifle!

Attachments

• jung1.jpg
    jung1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 55
  • jung2.jpg
    jung2.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 57
  • jung3.jpg
    jung3.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 65
  • jung4.jpg
    jung4.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 53
  • jung5.jpg
    jung5.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 50
  • jung6.jpg
    jung6.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 49
  • jung7.jpg
    jung7.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Well, the first sentence was a bit sarcastic, of course I'm happy for getting stuff brought because even if with the ones I bought yesterday despite them not fitting my collection and knowing I'll sell them on they nevertheless are interesting to me and I'll learn on them, and by posting them here in this forum I hope to also allow others to learn on these guns and in this way give something back to the community.

I had to edit the title since I noticed it is a 4mm and not a .22 rifle ... well, who would had thought that there was a 4mm rifle with a rear sight marked up to 200?! But there are worse things than that! And at least as a result to the caliber identification I also found the same rifle(s) in Simpson's book. They are described on page 466/467 and he calls them "JGA Early Transitional Models". Quite cool since he shows serial 0235 and mentions this is the earliest serial known - well, now there is a much lower serial known!

Attached better pictures of the rifle which I did today after having cleaned it. It isn't perfect, but it is all original and the previous owner at least had conserved it in the condition it was, it took me more than two hours to get off 98% of the grease he had put on the rifle and the stock.

Attachments

• jungstuttgart_01.jpg
    jungstuttgart_01.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 18
  • jungstuttgart_02.jpg
    jungstuttgart_02.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 20
  • jungstuttgart_03.jpg
    jungstuttgart_03.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 21
  • jungstuttgart_04.jpg
    jungstuttgart_04.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 22
  • jungstuttgart_05.jpg
    jungstuttgart_05.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 21
  • jungstuttgart_06.jpg
    jungstuttgart_06.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 23
  • jungstuttgart_07.jpg
    jungstuttgart_07.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 21
  • jungstuttgart_08.jpg
    jungstuttgart_08.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 28
  • jungstuttgart_09.jpg
    jungstuttgart_09.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 23
Well, the first sentence was a bit sarcastic, of course I'm happy for getting stuff brought because even if with the ones I bought yesterday despite them not fitting my collection and knowing I'll sell them on they nevertheless are interesting to me and I'll learn on them, and by posting them here in this forum I hope to also allow others to learn on these guns and in this way give something back to the community.

Absolutely love it when you get those calls out of the blue and stuff turns up. That's a neat one and you've cleaned it up nicely. Do drop me a pm when you've tired of that one as I'm missing a 4mm in the collection. :thumbsup:
Ken

Absolut, do you live in Europe?

On the road, but when I get home tomorrow I got some interesting info on your rifle I'll share :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Most of the time yes :googlie . Looking forward to additional information, thanks already in advance!

I've been out of town so didn't have my reference material with me. So, I did a boolean code search in google, and found nothing relevant. I then tried duckduckgo and found a single result. Turns out that the result if for an auction back in 2008 which your exact rifle, like-as-in your exact rifle, S/N: 0097, was sold at. Pretty crazy right?

Here is the Boolean Search Code I used:
("jga" AND "sportmodell") AND ("Stuttgart") AND "Gewehr" AND (".22" OR "4mm" OR "4 mm" OR "5.4mm" OR "5.4
mm")

and the information that was returned:

Auction House: Hermann Historica (High-end Auctioneer that specializes in Militaria and Weapons, Location:
Germany.)
Auction Information: Firearms from five centuries
Auktion: Montag, 6. Okt. 2008 - 11:00 Uhr
Dienstag, 7. Okt. 2008 - 11:00 Uhr

Lot Title: ORDONNANZWAFFEN DEUTSCHLAND BIS 1945
Lot Description:
Los Nr.3186
JGA (Wehr)Sportmodell im Kal. 4 mm lang,
Nr. 0097. Auf der Hülse das Logo "JGA" der J.G. Anschütz Germania-Waffenfabrik, Zella-Mehlis. Auf dem Lauf
bezeichnet "Waffen-Jung Stuttgart". Schiebevisier 30 - 200 m. Brünierung fleckig, partiell mit schwarzem Lack
ausgebessert. Dunkelbrauner Nussholzschaft mit Putzstockattrappe. Sonderanfertigung für Waffen-Jung aus den
30er Jahren. Gewehr durch behutsame Reinigung zu verbessern. Selten. Länge 109 cm.
Erwerbsscheinpflichtig.

Google Translated:
ORNAMENTAL ARMS GERMANY UNTIL 1945
Lot Nr.3186
JGA (weir) sport model in caliber 4 mm long,
No. 0097. On the sleeve the logo "JGA" of the JG Anschütz Germania weapon factory, Zella-Mehlis. Inscribed
"Waffen-Jung Stuttgart" on the barrel. Sliding sight 30 - 200 m. Spotty browning, partially touched up with black
lacquer. Dark brown walnut stock with dummy cleaning rod. Custom-made for Waffen-Jung from the 1930s. Improve
rifle by careful cleaning. Rare. Length 109 cm.
Acquisition certificate obligatory.

Auction Images:

57375.jpg

57375_b.jpg

That really is too funny! I wonder who the previous owner before the guy I got it from was. Damn, it sold for € 300 back then, well that was 2008. A true bargain! I paid much more than that.

That really is too funny! I wonder who the previous owner before the guy I got it from was. Damn, it sold for € 300 back then, well that was 2008. A true bargain! I paid much more than that.

Like all WW2 German rifles, they have exponentially gone up in price since 2008. But you still can find some deals if you keep an eye out.

Military Rifle Journal
Back